Do it yourselfers

Status
Not open for further replies.

emahler

celtic said:
OMG...tell me you have pictures!

I wish I had taken the time to grab my camera for that job.

no, unfortunately my guys pulled it all out to quickly. I'll see if we got any on someones phone. I wanted pictures though. this was an alltime classic.

Jim W in Tampa

dave1976 said:
As A Service Electrician I Want To Thank All The Diy Husbands Out There. Job Security

Always tell there wife that it was a very unusual problem or some bull like that and make him feel a bit better about being so stupid.Next time he will call you again.

kingpb

Occupation
Engineer, Registered
drg said:
Its not only the do it yourself husbands you can thank, its also a lot of the working electricans out there who either don't plain know any better or more likley just flat out don't care about what they are doing , they are fast and dangerous and some bosses love em cause they "get er done" .

You got that right, years ago when I was still in the field working for a mulit-location service company(still in business, so no names), we were working in a shopping mall doing a remodel of a chain clothing store. The supposed journeyman electrician on the job didn't want to take the time to identify some home run circuits in a conduit, so he pulls out his hacksaw, puts on an old blade, and proceeds to cut through the conduit, HOT! Sparks are flying, breakers trip, and he's all happy that he now knows what circuit breakers their on.

When we go back to the shop, I go in to tell the branch manager what had happened, and he thanked me for the info.

That friday I was "terminated". Come to find out from a buddy, the guy doing the work and the manager went way back, and instead of correcting the situation they got rid of the "complainer".

I always remember that story, because it was that incident that made me go down that next school semester, and went back to school and eventually got my engineering degree.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
The problem is not DIYers. It is DIYers that think that because they can change a light bulb that they are qualified to do any electrical work.

Everyone does some DIY type work. I bet you everyone here has done some painting or plumbing from time to time.

It is no different for electrical work. Replacing an existing outlet is not something beyond the capabilities of most DIYers and virtually no one is going to want to pay $100-200 for a real electrician to come out and do it for them.

The problem is that there is some line in the sand beyond which a DIYer ought to call a real electrician to do the work, but most of them do not realize when they are over the line.

rcarroll

Try inspecting a DIYer. I cringe every time my insp. request shows a diyer. They are so proud of their work & I usually have to fail it on many issues. Some want to argue, some want to learn. If they are in way over their heads, I do suggest they call an EC.

jeff43222

petersonra said:
The problem is not DIYers. It is DIYers that think that because they can change a light bulb that they are qualified to do any electrical work.

Replacing an existing outlet is not something beyond the capabilities of most DIYers and virtually no one is going to want to pay $100-200 for a real electrician to come out and do it for them.

Perhaps I should have taken pictures of the job I did last month where the HO replaced an existing receptacle and somehow managed to get it to catch fire a week later.

petersonra said:
The problem is that there is some line in the sand beyond which a DIYer ought to call a real electrician to do the work, but most of them do not realize when they are over the line.

Very true. But since most of them don't bother pulling permits and thus don't get their work inspected, they usually just assume they did everything right as long as everything works and nothing catches fire.

jeff43222

rcarroll said:
Try inspecting a DIYer. I cringe every time my insp. request shows a diyer. They are so proud of their work & I usually have to fail it on many issues. Some want to argue, some want to learn. If they are in way over their heads, I do suggest they call an EC.

I bet many of them decide the lesson to be learned from this is that pulling permits is more trouble than it's worth.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
jeff43222 said:
I bet many of them decide the lesson to be learned from this is that pulling permits is more trouble than it's worth.

The other lesson learned from pulling a permit is that your property taxes will go up.

Neither lesson is likely to discourage people from doing things themselves.

celtic

petersonra said:
Everyone does some DIY type work. I bet you everyone here has done some painting or plumbing from time to time.

It is no different for electrical work.
While it's true that everyone does some DIY to some degree, I disagree with your last comment...when is the last time a can of paint killed someone....or a toilet set a home on fire?

celtic

petersonra said:
The other lesson learned from pulling a permit is that your property taxes will go up.
Taxes go up only if the project is a CAPITAL IMPROVEMENT....repair work does not increase a homes value.
In NJ, you can get a 5 year grace on the capital improvment increase:
[Form E/A-1]
[FONT=Verdana,][SIZE=-1]Application for 5 Year Exemption/Abatement for Improvement, Conversion or Construction of Property under C.441, P.L. 1991

I will usually had the HO a copy of the form...if they haven't been a PITA - if they have been a PITA, they can find it themselves
[/SIZE][/FONT]

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
In Illinois if you breath they increase your assessment, at least in a lot of areas. The local township assessor is very upfront about using permits as a major source of information about which to determine increases in assessements.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
celtic said:
While it's true that everyone does some DIY to some degree, I disagree with your last comment...when is the last time a can of paint killed someone....or a toilet set a home on fire?

A guy could fall off a ladder and kill himself changing a light bulb too. Do you advocate prohibiting people from changing their own light bulbs?

Oil based paint has been known to cause fires if people are not careful how they dispose of the rags.

celtic

petersonra said:
Do you advocate prohibiting people from changing their own light bulbs?

I advocate knowing when you are in over your head, a little common sense, and reading the warning labels found on just about every product.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
celtic said:
I advocate knowing when you are in over your head, a little common sense, and reading the warning labels found on just about every product.

Most people are not real good at knowing when they are in over their head.

Warning labels these days contain so many superfluous admonitions that people tend to just ignore them.

Jim W in Tampa

petersonra said:
Most people are not real good at knowing when they are in over their head.

Warning labels these days contain so many superfluous admonitions that people tend to just ignore them.

Like turn engine off before changing fan belt.Dont laugh its on the instuctions.

celtic

Swat_the_Fly.gif

Swat the fly, but use common sense.

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
celtic said:

One of the reasons that plumbing codes are very specific about the requirements for proper venting of drain lines and for traps in drains is to prevent sewer gases from entering houses.

Houses have blown up because of sewer gases.

(Sorry, misread. I saw 'toilet' when you wrote 'toilet seat'.)

-Jon

Status
Not open for further replies.