Not open for further replies.

iwire

Staff member
I like these pre insulated mechanical connectors or a Hypress

PBTS.jpg

iwire

Staff member
Jim W in Tampa said:
Now tell him the price.He wont like it but they are fast and good.

For us they cost less than the labor to have someone properly tape up split bolts.

This is especially true if you expect to disconnect them as well.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Given a choice we will always use a Hypress with an irreversible compression splice, and a 3-M cold shrink for insulating the splice. Just have to remember to put the cold shrink on before you make the second set of crimps. This method is very fast once you're set up. Besides that, the connection will last forever and if crimped properly is fool proof. Mechanical connections always have some small degree of failure inherent to their design. In-line compression splices take up a lot less room in the junction box. The finished product is barely thicker than the conductors.

celtic

infinity said:
These new tools are a great improvement over the pump, crimp head and hose stuff that we've been using for the past 20+ years. The old method requires something that isn't always available, electricity.

Tell me about it!

I was involved in a rather large scale job that had about 5 different EC's on board. I watched as one outfit used the pump and remote head act (and manual bunny cutters) w/2 men; the other outfit used the Patiot and a cordless cable cutter w/1 man..... There were literally 100's (if not 1000's) of connections to be made on various pieces of equipment.
Who was done first?
Who made the most money?

Smart $

Esteemed Member
celtic said:
Yup...Burndy makes a nice tool:
fci_issue147.jpg
Greenlee recently put a die-type cordless model on the market. Burndy and T&B jaws are also available.

Not a recommendation, as I have yet to use one.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
don_resqcapt19 said:
Burndy has another version that is "dieless". I prefer that one.

I think that it's called a Smarthead. No dies and can crimp from #6 to 750's. Excellent for different sized crimps without changing the die's.

iwire

Staff member
I happen to have both a Burndy Cordless Dieless hypress and a Hand pumped Burndy Dieless hypress in my truck. (This is not common, I was using them last week)

Obviously the cordless is a great tool but if the shop had the electric pump powered one available I would have taken it instead.

Fitting the cordless tool into the cabinets can be a trick, we have a foot pedal for the remote hydro pump so it can still be a one man operation.

Of course that assumes you have power available.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Two other things that I like about that tool is the fact that you only need a single crimp on any connector and that it has "range taking ability" when used with Burndy connectors. For example a standard 4/0 connector is listed for use with wires sized #1 through 4/0 when used with that tool. You can use 3 sizes of connectors and cover all wire sizes from #6 to 500kcmil.
Don

Status
Not open for further replies.