Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BATH RECEPTACLES

BATH RECEPTACLES

Define the difference between bathtub/shower space and bathtub/shower zone. I had an electrical inspector fail a job because the receptacle was 15" from the edge of the tub. This is a new residential and the receptacle is gfci protected

Re: BATH RECEPTACLES

Code only prohibits putting a receptacle "in" the shower. Your installation should have been OK. Ask him to recite a reference. In some small bathrooms, it's not possible to install the required outlet without having it quite close to the shower.
    Gary

Ask him what article he is citing.We do over 2,500 homes a year and have never been tagged for a receptacle within 15 in of a tub or shower.I know of one model that has a knee wall aside a garden tub rhat has a receptacle horiz. at the top of the knee wall and it has to be around 12 in from waters edge.As I understand it as long as you don`t breach the verticle line of the tub or shower it is ok to have receps and/or switches in that location

The "zone" has only been established for specific type luminaires in bathub and shower spaces. Switches and receptacles do not have to meet the restrictions of this zone.
    Bryan P. Holland, MCP

there is always two sides, and not sure if i would have put it there, that being said, what code article did the inspector site that was violated? GEO

Why can't I see the responses to this post? At one time there were 6 and now there are 3 but all I can see is the question. Really curious as to what enlightened people have to say on this!

406.8(C) Bathtub and Shower Space. A receptacle shall not be installed within a bathtub or shower space.

You wont find a definition for for this space because there isn't one.

410.4(D) defines the tub zone and like Bryan says, it's for lighting fixtures. That's what Article 410 covers.

My guess is the inspector is confusing the two sections. I also think that because 406.8(C) is so vague the inspector can pretty much decide it means whatever he wants it to mean. Hopefully a short discussion with him or her about the two codes can get it to pass.
    Sam, San Francisco Bay Area

This topic has an error. :cool:
    Sam, San Francisco Bay Area

Sounds like the inspector is confusing the restriction on lighting fixtures in the bathtub and shower areas [410.4(D)]with the GFCI receptacle you installed. The receptacle is permitted anywhere outside of the shower or tub area as long as it outside of the footprint of the tub or shower and adjacent to the sink. Look at 406.8(C).
    Rob

Chief Moderator

All responses based on the 2011 NEC unless otherwise noted

I can't see the responce's until I click the reply?
    Ok Web Master it's broke!

Where is Danny when you need him?
    Wayne A. From: N.W.Indiana
    Be Fair, Be Safe
    Just don't be fairly safe