Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ANSUL system?

ANSUL system?

Hello All, could someone please tell me what an ANSUL system is? There will be 5 circuits going into a box containing 9 normally closed contacts. The 5 circuits are 2-3 phase grilles, 1-1 phase rice warmer, 1-1 phase refrigerator drawer, and finally 1-1 phase light. I'm guessing this is a type of emergency shut off system. The ANSUL system shows to be tied into the exhaust/vent hoods. Thanks.

Re: ANSUL system?

an ansul system is a fire suppression system used on cooking equipment

Ansul is a chemical used to put out grease fires. Code requires that the Gas and all electrical be shut off automatically if the ansul system is "fired"
    Located near the ansul bottles is 2 micro switches. One is used to trigger a fire alarm system and the other is used to shut off all electrical that is under the hood.

The easiest way to do this is to run the control circuit thru the microswitch first then to the hood control box. When the ansul cable is pulled, the control circuit will open, shutting off power.

Thanks for the quick replies. So who usually installs the pull cord, exstinguisher bottles, and the alarms? The co. installing the fire alarm system or the HVAC co. that is installing the hoods? Thanks.
    Do the letters "ANSUL" stand for anything?

[ December 19, 2004, 07:52 PM: Message edited by: iaspiretowire ]

I have wired many small restaurants that use the ANSUL system.

All the ANSUL control heads I ever worked with had double throw limit switches on them giving you a normally open or normally closed contact choice.

Most of the time we set a small load center with a shunt trip main breaker and bring the equipment that has to be shut down fat fryers grilles Etc. from it.

If you don't want to go that route use a contactor large enough for your load and hold the coil energized with the normally closed contacts in your ANSUL system control head.

Ronald

Originally posted by ronaldrc:
    use a contactor large enough for your load and hold the coil energized with the normally closed contacts in your ANSUL system control head.

Ronald
    Hi Ronald. Im trying to bid a small commercial job. I have mostlly been doing residential. The only thing Im not understanding is this ANSUL system. The blueprints show that I supply and wire the contactors for the ANSUL system, but the prints dont show anything else. Can I expect another trade on the job to be supplying all the other parts of the ANSUL system such as the control head you mentioned? Thanks.

Yes that is right in all the jobs I have did.

The only electrical parts that are usually supplied by the ANSUL system are the limit switches to actuate the shut down of the electrical equipment to be shut down.

We always supplied the contactors shunt trip breakers and enclosures for them.

The only part of the ANSUL system the Electrical contractors are usually concerned with are just the limit switches mounted inside the ANSUL control head the control head is usually mounted on top of one of the large Co2 tanks. The conduit for the ANSUL system cables and melt links are furnished and installed by the ANSUL system contractor. The ANSUL system control head with the limit switches are furnished by the ANSUL contractor.Conduit and all the mechanical gear are all furnished by the ANSUL contractor.

I would check with the contractor to be sure.

Ronald

[ December 19, 2004, 09:44 PM: Message edited by: ronaldrc ]

I've wired one of these systems once, I too was a bit cautious, never seeing this before. However it was*pretty simple and straight forward. The only one I wired was as follows:
    The hood came with controls for the two exhaust fans and one makeup air unit(this unit provides fresh make up air while the exhaust fans are on, I belive this is the only fan that will be shut off when the ANSUL system activates).
    The ANSUL system was installed by the contractor that installed the hood, they ran everything for their system. The electric end of it is yours. In the ANSUL control box there will be contacts NO and NC and there will be a few of them.. It's your job to use these contacts to control a contactor or shunt trip breakers. In my installation, the hood control box had two terminals one power to supply the contact in the ANSUL box and the other for the return wire from the contact. The other terminals your going to have to use to shut down everything else. Rons ways to shut off the rest would be good.

The one's I wired I used a remote panel that fed everything under the hood it was fed by a shunt trip breaker the ANSEL system just triped this breaker. simple
    Wayne A. From: N.W.Indiana
    Be Fair, Be Safe
    Just don't be fairly safe

Originally posted by iaspiretowire:
    Hello All, could someone please tell me what an ANSUL system is? There will be 5 circuits going into a box containing 9 normally closed contacts. The 5 circuits are 2-3 phase grilles, 1-1 phase rice warmer, 1-1 phase refrigerator drawer, and finally 1-1 phase light. I'm guessing this is a type of emergency shut off system. The ANSUL system shows to be tied into the exhaust/vent hoods. Thanks.
    It's a fire suppression system, for a kitchen. Have those spec'd by the architect all the time. It's very simple, if you don't have the contacts that are wired to the fire alarm system for shutting off the fan, lights, and other system. Other than that, it can be a pain to install.

Some have a mechanical pull station, some have a electrical pull station...

Lady
    Engineer by trade, Lady by choice
    New Jersey Gal