Substation Safety Awarness Training

Status
Not open for further replies.

maryl

Does anyone know of a good source, online or otherwise, for safety awareness training when working in a substation? The work is strickly low voltage related.

zog

Does anyone know of a good source, online or otherwise, for safety awareness training when working in a substation? The work is strickly low voltage related.

Can you be more specific? Are you looking for substation training or only safety training?

Forget about on-line training for substations, the few courses out there are junk, needs to be a live hands on class. I did this training for 15 years and knwo about every course out there. Here is a good place to start, after you post more details perhaps I can make some other suggestions.

http://shermco.com/training.html

charlie

We recently had a great two week course taught by Eaton. It was over low-voltage/medium-voltage equipment.
The problem is that most (at least the ones I have been in) substations are HV and MV (some go to EHV). You have to have safety training on both if you are going to be around both. :)

mxstar211

The problem is that most (at least the ones I have been in) substations are HV and MV (some go to EHV). You have to have safety training on both if you are going to be around both. :)

That is true, but if you are doing substation training you should be able to find a company that can accomadate your work environment. It also depends on what your company calls low/medium/high-voltage. I consider low-voltage 600 V or less, 600 V- 15K medium voltage, and anything higher high-voltage. But that is based on my work environment.

I do agree you need training on both if you will be working around them.

charlie

LV = Voltage levels that are less than or equal to 1 kV

MV = Voltage levels that are greater than 1 kV, but less than or equal to 69 kV

HV = Voltage levels that are greater than 69 kV, but less than or equal to 230 kV

EHV = Voltage levels that are greater than 230 kV, but less than or equal to 800 kV

UHV = Voltage levels that are greater than 800 kV

The highest voltage we deal with in Indiana is 765 kV and on our system it is 345 kV. :)

walton

You might try National Technology Transfer INC. They offer a combination course on NFPA 70E / Arc Flash Electrical Safety with High / MV Voltage. We have taken the course here at the Sacramento Regional Wastewater Treatment Plant, very informative. The Instrutor was Willaim Clapp.

Status
Not open for further replies.