Tap Rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am feeding a pre-made 12'x12'x15' enclosure that contains several electrical devices and located over 1000' away from the panel. In order to keep voltage drop low the conductor size needs to be increased. Right at the enclosure I have to change conductor size to something smaller (30' long) so connection to the enclosure can be made.

Do I need to follow tap rules described 240.21 when I change conductor size?

Thanks,

Mike

haskindm

The rating of the circuit is determined by the overcurrent device, not the conductor size. The size of the conductor at the termination will be "adquate for the load to be served", right? And the overcurrent device will be selected for the load to be served, right? So there is no problem. You just used a larger conductor for part of the run.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I agree. It's not a "tap," unless there is a conductor that is rated for a lower ampacity than the setting of the overcurrent protection device.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
"Splices" are not always "taps" and "taps" are not always "splices".

240.4 effectively requires all conductors to be protect at their ampacity, it doesn't care how many times the conductors are spliced. So, if the smallest conductor in your circuit is protected by the overcurrent device at the begining of the circuit then there is no harm or foul regardless how many size changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.