a/c disconect min height

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave_B

I cant find a minimum height requirement for mounting an air conditioning disconnect on a building in 440.14 or in 430. But I thought there was something some where about minimum height for out door equipment. I have an existing disconnect 6" above grade and really don't want to move it.

480sparky

There is none.

I didn't rough this in, and I was royally POd when I was tasked to trim it out, but it passes.

oops04.jpg

ceb58

Not trying to hijack the thread but what about a max. height? 440.14 says it should be readily accessible, which by the definitions says you cannot use portable means. But 240.24 A 4 states that if it is by the utilization equipment it may be accessed by portable means.:confused:

480sparky

Yeah, and you had to walk up hill to get there and home. Cry baby.:roll:

And I live in a shoebox with my 47 brothers and sisters in a culvert that floods every time it rains, and we have one bean to eat between us every day, and the front door and the back door share a hinge..........

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
And I live in a shoebox with my 47 brothers and sisters in a culvert that floods every time it rains, and we have one bean to eat between us every day, and the front door and the back door share a hinge..........

:grin:..........

ceb58

..... and I would not call a disconnect located above a dropped ceiling 'adjacent to' an air handler in a nearby closet.:)

I'm not going in the closet:grin: My question was more directed to a air handler suspended from the ceiling on rod and strut with the disconnect being next to the elect. access panel on the air handler. Both would need portable means to reach.

iwire

Staff member
I'm not going in the closet:grin:

Yeah I mixed this up with another ongoing thread about a closet and an AHU.

My question was more directed to a air handler suspended from the ceiling on rod and strut with the disconnect being next to the elect. access panel on the air handler. Both would need portable means to reach.

That would be fine and something I do all the time ........... of course I see no exception to do so in 110.26.:D

romba_one

Some of the AC disconnects that have receptacles in them do have a 2' minimum height in their install instructions. The brand I'm thinking of is the "Midwest" brand non fused, 60A single phase disconnect.

Status
Not open for further replies.