How do you strip small conductors (below #10)?

Learn the NEC with Mike Holt now!

How do you strip small conductors (below #10)?

• Lineman pliers

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Pocket knife or electricians knife

• Combination of methods

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

peter d

I always use T-strippers. I will occasionally use lineman's pliers if my strippers are not available at the moment.

As the saying goes, you repeat what you were taught. I was taught to use strippers and that's what works the best for me. :)

Minuteman

I believe in using the right tool for the job, so I use strippers. I can't say that I have never used my lineman's or dikes to strip with, but I can say that I have also seen the wire accidentally cut or severely nicked.

I don't hammer very much with my lineman's either. I know guys who have beaten theirs to death. Of course, I have lost several pair over the years, so, who knows what shape my lineman's would be in if I still had my first pair?

iwire

Staff member
What is a 'small' conductor?

24 AWG? No need to strip

18 AWG? Linemens

14 AWG? Linemens

8 AWG? Utility Knife or linemens

1 AWG? Utility Knife

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I'm with Bob, my first thought when I read the poll was define 'small conductors'. I will use wire strippers up to #10 AWG and a utility knife for sizes larger than that.

JES2727

I also use wire strippers. As a side note, I'm especially fond of the kind with the curved handle.

John

peter d

Small conductors-anything below #10. For these sizes I think the T-strippers work the best.

Anything above #10 I use a utility knife. Nothing else works as well as a nice sharp razor blade on THHN/THWN insulation. 8)

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
When I put together my wife's model train layout, I used my teeth to strip the (I guess) #22 wires. :shock: I suppose I would not make it as an electrician. I'd have to learn how to strip 500 MCM without using my teeth. :lol: :lol:

peter d

charlie b said:
When I put together my wife's model train layout, I used my teeth to strip the (I guess) #22 wires. :shock:

I was going to put "teeth" as one of the choices, but then I realized it would turn the survey into a joke. :lol:

raider1

Staff member
I don't know if anybody else likes the electricians scissors

But I have found that they work really well on phone wire and other small conductors. I takes a little while to get use to using them, but its less painful then using your teeth. I know that from experience, chipped tooth. :shock:

Chris

celtic

It really depends on what I'm doing....
....if I am roughing in a dwelling unit - linemans for AC/MC
D2000-9NE-CR_ICON.jpg

Klein D2000-9NE

and strippers for Romex
bc4a7220eca0e5ec43878010.L.jpg

Klein 1412

...if I am finishing/trimming a dwelling - 1412's

...if I am doing tele/data - scissors and knife (coax is another tool)
Klein scissors/knife kit #46037
B0002RI5NU.01-A3REKJCJFKDI0B._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

...which also comes in handy for MV cable splicing.

Once we get over say a #8, a knife...I have so many, I don't have a favorite :) , the fav right now is this one from Sear's:
009_94845_12115sol2-f500.jpg

..got it for $10 @ Sears.
Works real well sharpening pencils...LOL...which is what I am doing mostly right now (desk/office work)

JohnE

For solid conductors, always use linesman's. For large quantity of stranded use strippers, but for a few will just use linesman's. For larger conductors use old fashioned jack knife (also use this exclusively for romex.) For really large conductors use hook blade knife graciously donated by N-Grid.

I Never ever use Linesman pliers for stripping. I learned that method as an Apprentice in the Local. It was a lazy method used by macho guys proving they only need to carry 3 tools to be good.
Well... I Need 4 tools to be good.
Linesman pliers are not recommended for stripping insulation. Plain & simple!
Use the T stripper & be the professional you are supposed to be!

izak

one of my working partners uses linemens and or dikes to strip solid #12

one time we got done with a job, turned on the circuit, flipped the switches, and nothing worked.
i crawled back up into the attic, opened the jbox he spliced in, and found the wires he stripped with the IMPROPER TOOL had broken when he tied the joint. exactly where the insulation had been removed..

my father once worked for a company that handed out a new pair of t-strippers once a month. about the time you could start seeing a little score mark on the wire, they gave you a new set.

why anyone would use linemans pliers to strip wire is beyond me. especially solid wire. they nick the wire around the circumference and weaken the wire. only wire strippers or a knife are acceptable.

mulllet

For the tiny stuff such as phone wire, old twin lead ect, I use my zippo.
Just heat and pulloff with fingernail. :D

JohnE

brian wisemiller said:
why anyone would use linemans pliers to strip wire is beyond me. especially solid wire. they nick the wire around the circumference and weaken the wire. only wire strippers or a knife are acceptable.

Please speak for yourself. I strip solid 14, 12, and 10 with linesman's. I can priomise you that conductors are never nicked. I'd invite you to spend a day with me to prove me wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.