temp. service # of gfci alowed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is the Siemens site were you can find the Power Outlet of your dreams.
HTML:
http://www.sea.siemens.com/resident/product/SiemensAll_Sites_Bro.pdf
They make them in 20, 30, or 50 amp, or all both and all three if you want. On my way home I stopped and looked at one I recently passed and sure enough it was a double pole 20.:roll: .Now I am on a mission to find a saw to back up my bold statement.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Jackleg said:
Here is the Siemens site were you can find the Power Outlet of your dreams.
HTML:
They make them in 20, 30, or 50 amp, or all both and all three if you want. On my way home I stopped and looked at one I recently passed and sure enough it was a double pole 20.:roll: .Now I am on a mission to find a saw to back up my bold statement.

Jackleg try just pasting the web address. It should come up as a link.

You can view it at the bottom of the post before you post it to see if the link is there.

Also I bet that 50 amp saw was some carpenters invention to use at home from his range or something crazy like that. That saw would be incredible large HP. I can't imagine it.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
iwire said:
Jackleg said:
. . . I have never seen a Main Lug Panel that was rated for service equipment.
They are available and I have used them.
Same here. We just installed a 12-space, 125a, 3-ph ML panel for a 3-ph rooftop AC unit. The only breaker in it will be the 30a 3p.

It is indeed labeled for use as service equipment with no more than 6 breakers. It is supplied by #4cu directly from the meter lugs.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
power outlet

power outlet

"power outlet"
wow! so many things to remember.... thank you guys for another learning experience.

KIRKBRO

#gfic temp service

#gfic temp service

Thanks for all replies,didn't know there were so many ways to look at what I thought a simple problem."question"/ Will install main to my panelboard .On location often 2 recp. are overloaded and trip all the time. The service I installed meter panel combo w/4 spaces for breaker only MLO. The six handle rule applies ,as everyone knows to quickley clear circuts in case of emergency I can't logicaly see any problem or safety issue by applying this rule to my service. thanks agin very helpful I always learn when I am on this sight,,,, kirk

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
iwire said:
I stand corrected and apologize to George for making light of his earlier suggestion.
No sweat. I wasn't convinced I was right, but my left earlobe kept twitching which told me I might have been on to something. :)

Thanks for doing the legwork, I was secretly digging around and coming up with blanks. :D

The Milbank catalog was woefully incomplete. Temps I saw daily for four years (all service rated) did not have mention of being suitable for service equipment. :mad:

I almost stopped to take a picture of a label up close on my way home today. :D

Power Outlet Panels

Power Outlet Panels

I was looking for advice on another issue when I ran accross your conversation here. I tried to read all of your input on this matter and I hope that I don't come accross the wrong way but I have recently done a little homework on the matter myself. The issue is not about a main disconnect or a group of six handles as a main disconnect. The issue is about overloading the buss in a lighting or power panel by rampant field modifications by who ever happens to come along, as we have all sadly seen on many occasions. With a properly sized (according to the buss and enclosure) main breaker installed in a custom built temporary power pole the buss will have sufficient secondary overcurrent protection to avoid an overload that routinely occurs due to misuse in the field where "six handles" might not keep the buss from melting down in these situations. In the State of Washington only a Power Outlet Panel can use a main lug bus system to supply temporary power. This is because a Power Outlet Panel was originally designed and listed as an end user product. This means that no field modifications were intended to be made, although it is now common to get Power Outlet Panels that are designed to be field modified (by qualified personel) as long as the manufacturers instructions are followed and it is listed as a power outlet panel. I am in no way the authority on this issue, I just thought that I would share what I have learned about this often confusing issue.

M. D.

This is alink to a neat publication and on page 328. or a search for " power outlet " or may be the link will take you directly there, it seems a main is not lways required per the installation instructions (don't even get me going on that issue:smile: ) I wish my state had this kind of newsletter it is filled with all kinds of good stuff like the oldest electrician in WA.,.. 99 years old ...God I hope I'm not still working when I'm 99

http://www.lni.wa.gov/TradesLicensing/Electrical/files/currents/ALLCurrents.pdf

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.