Estimating issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

emahler

celtic said:
I wonder about these "one hit wonders" who post a very specific question that has been:
- asked out here (w/o a complete consensus among the participants)
- recently been a topic in EC&M
- recently been a topic in ECMag
- etc.

They post once, never to return and jump into the fray to offer any more input/discussion.

kind of ticks you off, doesn't it? at least have the courtesy to acknowledge the information given to you :D

celtic

emahler said:
kind of ticks you off, doesn't it? at least have the courtesy to acknowledge the information given to you :D
I had this debate on another forum .....some parties felt I was asking for a "thank you" from an OP I "helped" - that is the furthest thing from my intention. The comment is simply "is this what you are asking, was your question answered, do you need more help" ....that sort of mind set on my part.

Don't get me wrong here....my intentions are not completely altruistic ....I get BACK far more than I GIVE :)

...besides, you can't get ticked off with "phantom" posters ;)

cdslotz

No one PM could or should manage that much work. A PM can only effectively manage, maybe 6-10 million a year, and that depends on a lot of factors.

Like I posted in another thread, you get NO front money on these type projects. That's just not how it works in the large job world.

dduffee260

cdslotz said:
Like I posted in another thread, you get NO front money on these type projects. That's just not how it works in the large job world.

Why should the EC be a bank? The EC should demand !!, money up front, if not then no go on the project !!

Why should the EC be a bank? The EC should demand !!, money up front, if not then no go on the project !!

In large projects that's just the way that it is done. Not only that but 10% retention is usually held back as well. EC's that do this level of work have the cost included in their overhead. They aren't giving anything away for free.

You've got to roll the dice to be in the game.

satcom

IllinoisContractor said:
In large projects that's just the way that it is done. Not only that but 10% retention is usually held back as well. EC's that do this level of work have the cost included in their overhead. They aren't giving anything away for free.

You've got to roll the dice to be in the game.

On large projects, they also have a letter of credit, and a a payment agreement in place before the start of any work, with this letter, and agreement, the GC, or EC is able to obtain advances from his bank.

When you have someone either commercial or residential, that can't supply you with credit information, and agree to your payment terms, then you had better get a good down payment, it may be the only payment you see.

Last edited:

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
domelectric said:
Almost 70,000 dollars a year working in Target??? The department store??
Man, I wonder if they're hiring any electricians...

It is not unusual for a store manager in such a place to earn 6 figures. it is not a job for the someone who wants a life though. My wife was a kmart store manager. Now she wants nothing to do with retail. Too many 80 hour weeks, nights, holidays, and weekends.

Status
Not open for further replies.