Electrical Assemblies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know where I can find a list of different assemblies and the material that is in each assembly?

(An assembly contains all of the material required for the listed assembly. For example, a receptacle's assembly includes conduit / romex, box, fittings, straps, ring, receptacle, plate, etc.)

Thanks.

hardworkingstiff

IllinoisContractor said:
Does anyone know where I can find a list of different assemblies and the material that is in each assembly?

(An assembly contains all of the material required for the listed assembly. For example, a receptacle's assembly includes conduit / romex, box, fittings, straps, ring, receptacle, plate, etc.)

Thanks.

I'm not sure, but I believe you either have to make them yourselves or get them from your estimating software.

celtic

Some software programs will include them...some don't....some let you build them.

Does turbobid (that's the name?) let you build them?

As you are probably aware, I built my own with Excel:
15AStandardDuplexRecp.jpg

It was a time consuming project, but the worth the effort. It will probably NEVER be complete...always a new assembly to "build".

Thanks Lou.

Does TurboBid (that's the name?) let you build them?

TurboBid does come with hundreds of pre-built assemblies and it does let you create new ones. I'm like you Celtic in that I'm trying to expand my assembly database.

Thanks.

satcom

Assemblies are usually built as needed, good estimators usually have both a book of assemblies, and actual records, each assembly is for a given task, you may have a run with 1/2" EMT for a given length, with X numbers of wires, the EMT size will differ with each assembly, and so will the number of wires, to get a better grasp on estimating there is a very good book on this site. http://mikeholt.com/bookitem.php?id...rchtext=&product_type=Book&category_from=Book
Some cost books and estimating software programs also have some of the common assemblies.

I would recommend you build your own assemblies, and then use them to update you job actuals, great learning experience, and it will keep you up to speed, with real world job activity.

I build, and store my assemblies in AyaNova service software

Last edited:

celtic

Do you guys have any idea what the actual percentage is rough vs finish on a house?

I ran some numbers through my super-deluxe homemade version.....

Do you guys have any idea what the actual percentage is rough vs finish on a house?

I know it's not what you asked but I bill out after we install the service as well. I split it up 15% Service, 65% Rough and 20% Trim.

It's a little bit front loaded which helps with cash flow.

celtic

Nothing wrong (IMHO) with a little front loading.....but you're right, not exactly what I was asking (probably because I didn't phrase the ? properly).

Let's say you are wiring a home.
Cost is $13,000 (less service)
What percentage of that 13k is related to rough....to finish?

celtic

IllinoisContractor said:
I thought that since there are sites that list material, maybe there would be a site that lists assemblies as well.
...and you would be correct ~ to some degree.
Of course every assembly WON'T be listed (too many variables)....and it may not be built the way you want it.

For example, get-a-quote, has some recept assemblies...there assemblies include:
1 gang brown duplex receptacle, 15 amp, in 4/S x 1-1/2" deep box, ring and plastic plate
4-S-ring flat [view picture] L1@0.55 Ea 4.66 18.90 23.56
(page 515 in electrical)
..but no wire or staples.

celtic

IllinoisContractor said:
I'd say it's about 80% rough, 20% trim.

I'd say that was pretty dam close ..... I showed 62.96% and 37.04% :) (Fixtures NOT included)

Don't get started using Excel....you can bounce numbers around all day for no apparent reason other than you can :D

tyha

is get a quote the site that has "quick - bid" . I know some one who uses it. They do small commercial and residential but I think the program was free with like $200 for pricing updates. Thats a good place to start.

celtic

tyha said:
is get a quote the site that has "quick - bid" . I know some one who uses it. They do small commercial and residential but I think the program was free with like $200 for pricing updates. Thats a good place to start.

I think get-a-quote is tied into Craftsman books...aka The National Estimator(TNE) ~ they seem to be selling thier products and the costbook pages look exactly like TNE.

I've never actually used the service at get-a-quote.

macmikeman

In regards to the original post, the Dewalt electrical estimating pocketbook has some pretty decent assembly's set up as far as listing materials per assembly, but does not really have labor or materials built into them. It is a place to start however. Can't remember where I got mine, but maybe Borders? bookstore.

In regards to the original post, the Dewalt electrical estimating pocketbook has some pretty decent assembly's set up as far as listing materials per assembly, but does not really have labor or materials built into them. It is a place to start however. Can't remember where I got mine, but maybe Borders? bookstore.

Thanks macmikeman. However, I must admit that I'm a little confused. Do the assemblies list all of the the material that make up the assemblies?

macmikeman

IllinoisContractor said:
Thanks macmikeman. However, I must admit that I'm a little confused. Do the assemblies list all of the the material that make up the assemblies?

Typical from them: Single pole switch (emt job)

1 pole switch, single g plate, 1g 1/2" raised ring, 4" square box, 16' 1/2" emt, 2 box connectors, 1 coupling, 2 straps, 3 fasteners, 38' #12 wire, 2 wire nuts, grounding pigtail. What I don't see is a far side clip, but most all printed assemblies need a little tweaking to get them right.

bjp_ne_elec

EBM let's you build custom assemblies. Not sure what software package you use , IllinoisContractor, but in some cases you might be able to get a guy that's sharp in databases to put some together for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.