Another electrocution in Iraq

Status
Not open for further replies.

ItsHot

Just read in Mike Holt's news letter that there has been another electrocution in the shower again in Iraq! What's going on? Where is the accountability? This is the third time or so that someone has been electrocuted in the shower!:mad:

iMuse97

Just read in Mike Holt's news letter that there has been another electrocution in the shower again in Iraq! What's going on? Where is the accountability? This is the third time or so that someone has been electrocuted in the shower!:mad:

At least the third time.

m wolf

The company I work for recently aquired a job with a"federal contractor", what I refer to as a leach. This contractor brags about hiring the cheepest labor they can find and then charging the U.S.govt. top doller for them. If the contractors in question are anything like the ones I've recently become aquanted with I'm not surprised

~Shado~

Should have the contractor or electrician that wires them....take their showers in them for a week to test if their work is good before anybody else uses the showers.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Where is the problem comming from. The article speaks of the seargent carring a hair dryer into the shower area. Could that solder have actualy dropped the hair dryer into the water. Seems pretty odd to me. Was there that many deaths before GFCI in the bathroom, and those from adults.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
It really is a shame to go through all what soldiers do and die from a completly preventable situation.
It just saddens me.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
It's a shame with the technology and safety codes we have here, are not observed or installed over there. I know other countries are not quite up to speed on safety, The Dominican Republic does not use GFI's, they do not ground light fixtures, (at least they pull grounds to the receptacles) I don't think they know what a 3R panel is either.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
The company I work for recently aquired a job with a"federal contractor", what I refer to as a leach. This contractor brags about hiring the cheepest labor they can find and then charging the U.S.govt. top doller for them. If the contractors in question are anything like the ones I've recently become aquanted with I'm not surprised

We have government inspectors looking at our work over here, why are they not inspectors over there? Or are they just failing at their job?

iMuse97

Ever since the Revolutionary War, people have been trying (often succeeding) to scam the government in getting the contracts and not fulfilling them, by many different means. What really burns me is that the people who suffer (and in this case, die) for another's gain are the soldiers whose sworn duty it is to protect the freedom which allows for a country where someone could even think of scamming the government. If we had less freedom the government would just seize what it wanted by imminent domain, or whatever. Just a rant. Sorry I can't say it better, but this thread got to me.

quogueelectric

Grounding really has nothing to do with solving this problem...it is a bonding issue only.

I totally agree with you on this. This is a very frustrating issue where improperly trained persons are pounding groundrods all over the place and connecting them to the panels and then placing bond jumpers to the neutral. Creating ground loops all over the place. Killing our young men and women who are putting themselves in harms way for us.

dbuckley

The article speaks of the seargent carring a hair dryer into the shower area.
I gather that the Iraq installations used (until recently) something approximating to the British regs, and under British regs there would be no socket outlets in a bathroom at all, except for shaver sockets compliant with BS something or other.

I've also read a lot of Iraq is wired without any ground wiring (and thus no bonding) , and thats probably got a lot to do with this repeating problem.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I've also read a lot of Iraq is wired without any ground wiring (and thus no bonding) , and thats probably got a lot to do with this repeating problem.
It is my understanding that these deaths have all occurred in facilities that were wired or re-wired under contracts from the US government. They should have been installed to the current safety standards and they were not.
The executives of the US based companies that hired the sub-contractors and did not enforce the safety standards should be put on trial for manslaughter.

Status
Not open for further replies.