Changing a pressure switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdshunk

How's this work in your area, permit and licensing wise? Say you troubleshoot a water pump not running problem to a failed pressure switch. The changing of the switch will necessarily involve a little plumbing and a little electrical. Who's job is it? I will say that I just go ahead and change them. How does this work in areas that are more strict on licensing matters, like SanFran, Chicago, and NYC? If two trades are involved, that 30 dollar pressure swtich will probably cost the customer 500 bucks.

peter d

In certain states around here, it is customary for the well contractor to do "their" electrical work. Typical we just feed the pressure switch and that's it.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I don't believe that too many people would get a permit to make this change out. That being said the pump guys have a limited license that allows them to wire the pump in the well along with the underground wires to the holding tank and pressure switch. So, the pump guys does it around here.

mdshunk

I know that new installs, the well guy just does the whole shebang. That's a major gripe of mine, because the only NEC compliant water well wiring I've ever seen has been on commercial jobs. I've yet to see an NEC compliant residential water well in the areas I cover, and I've seen a heck of a lot of well equipment.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Marc, what specifically is it that they are doing there that is not compliant. Years ago (about 20) they use to run the wire down the well (TW) and direct bury it to the house--- tons of that around here in the past.

BTW-- my mike holt website is running very slow here are you all experiencing the same. All other sites are fine.

mdshunk

Dennis Alwon said:
BTW-- my mike holt website is running very slow here are you all experiencing the same. All other sites are fine.
Yes, this site is a super-slow tar baby these last few hours. I've noticed the same thing from time to time. Doesn't seem to be a real pattern to it. The internet's a funny thing. I ran a trace route earlier, and the holdup is the last 5 hops, all on cox.net equipment. That must be where this site lives.

mdshunk

Dennis Alwon said:
Marc, what specifically is it that they are doing there that is not compliant. Years ago (about 20) they use to run the wire down the well (TW) and direct bury it to the house--- tons of that around here in the past.
One of everything. Wrong OCPD size for the branch circuit, no local disconnect, improper termination of heavier gauges to the terminals in the pressure switch, cable type inappropriate for the location/type of use, unjacketed UF run exposed indoors, no connectors in pressure switch and/or pump starter, improper fastening of cables, no bonding of metal well casing, and lots more.

mdshunk

Here's a creative use of garden hose for conduit at a well. In fairness, this might have been schedule 80 garden hose, but I doubt it. :grin:

wellhose2.jpg

wellhose1.jpg

wellhose3.jpg

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
If these installations are done with inspections then it seems the inspector is not doing his/her job. Here they don't mess with the line side but do everything else and I might add the inspectors check the bonding of the casing as well as everything else.

Marc { MD } .,,

I do change quite few pressure switches for the water well ,

but Most common abuse is no local disconnection switch and also in the " Pump House " i did actally seen what the HO get crafty with the heaters they tap one leg of 240 volts circuit and used the ground wire as neutral that really get me little spooky there.

Yeah they ran wrong wire for the well and also in the underground as well

poor connection at the pressure switch and also some case jammed the wires too tight in the pressure switch make it almost impossible to get the cover on

Merci , Marc

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
In general, no license or inspection is required for repair work, ie no modifications other than part replacement. IMO if you have a pressure switch and/or are capable, replace it. Same with an H2o heating element, thermostat, etc. Other trades should be able to live by the same rule. The problem is when we just think we know how to do it. Then you become a Handy Man service.

JohnJ0906

mdshunk said:
I know that new installs, the well guy just does the whole shebang. That's a major gripe of mine, because the only NEC compliant water well wiring I've ever seen has been on commercial jobs. I've yet to see an NEC compliant residential water well in the areas I cover, and I've seen a heck of a lot of well equipment.

The well company I see alot of, does some nice, neat, and code-compliant work. However, I certainly see hack work as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.