2 by 4 lay-in flourecent fixture.

Status
Not open for further replies.

aftershock

I went on a call today to replace some ballats in some fixtures at a retail store.
These were 2 x 4 lay in's. (They set in the grid of a dropped ceiling).
The ballast I am given to replace is "REL-4P32-RH-TP". One ballast, operates all 4 bulbs. The bulbs are T8's.
I get to one paticular fixture and notice it has 2 ballasts. "R-2S40-1-TP". 1 ballast for 2 bulbs of the fixture. the store owner was using T8 type bulbs in this fixture when the ballast calls for T12 type. Owner also complaining of bulbs not lasting long, flickering alot, ect.
Since the owner was supplying the ballasts, all I could do to get it to work correctly was to rewire the tombstones according to the diagram on the ballast.
Would installing T8 type bulbs in a fixture where the ballast calls for T12 type bulbs, ruin bulbs, ruin ballasts. Both?

iwire

Staff member
T12 ballasts will damage T8 lamps.

Using any lamp not listed on the ballast is a sure way to burn out lamps quickly or cause a ballast to cycle on and off from overheating.

dlhoule

That is a problem nowadays. It is getting to the point in some places, unless you check the ballast you don't know which lamps to install. :(

that the reason why if some area have mixed bags of flourscent lumaires what i do is mark it near the tombstone or someplace where they can spot it so can use the correct bulb size without smoking the ballast or destory bulbs in hurry.

i have fair share with some crazy stuff with this sistuation.

Merci, Marc

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I recently converted over several of these fixtures in the stairwells of an office building. There was no need to rewire the tombstone end connectors. Contact your supply house or the manufacturer and they will tell you how to make the conversion. From what I'm told there will come a point in time in the near future (perhaps 10 years or less) when you will not be able to buy a magnetic ballast. If manufacturers made you rewire the end connectors no one would ever make conversions to T-8's.

It's a tough call to make but if your customer hasn't invested in a large quantity of T-12 bulbs and if you have to change a ballast I would convert over to an electronic ballast with T-8 bulbs. They're much more energy efficient and the bulbs and ballasts should last longer. Just my opinion.

dlhoule

georgestolz said:
Do any fixtures/ballasts come with a sticker you can place on the wiring compartment cover stating "T-12 Lamps Only" or something?

They should. 8)

Good idea George! I use a sharpie quite a bit on these things but I don't really like it. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.