Bus Duct

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lady Engineer

I was wondering what's the best way to mount a disconnect switch on a Bus Duct? I know there are cables that connect to the bus duct, but is there anything else I need not forget for my design?

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Is this a "feeder busway," meaning that it is only intended to bring power from a source to a load, or is it a "plug-in busway," meaning that it is design to have bus plug breakers attached along the path? If the former, then I don't know whether you can mount anything to it at all. If the later, then you simply plug in one of the breaker modules that match the manufacture and model of busway. If it is neither, then I would have to know what exactly you are describing.

Lady Engineer

It's a 1600 vertical bus duct, which already has a 400amp fused switch mounted to it. We are adding a new 200A switch, which will be submetered. I assume we would treat it just like the busses in a Switchboard, except they are vertical busses in a metal square compartments.

It looked like a plug in, like you said, but I wasn't sure so I thought I would ask. :)

bsh

Also make sure you have enough physical space to plug in the 200A switch. In some installations the locations for the plugs in the busway might be near a wall or some other obstruction and make installing another plug impossible.

benaround

It's a 1600 vertical bus duct, which already has a 400amp fused switch mounted to it. We are adding a new 200A switch, which will be submetered. I assume we would treat it just like the busses in a Switchboard, except they are vertical busses in a metal square compartments.

It looked like a plug in, like you said, but I wasn't sure so I thought I would ask. :)

You will need to get all the info off of the BusDuct in order to order the right 200a fused

disconnect. Also, just a heads up, a lot of these 1600a BusDucts are just (2) 800a ducts

back to back, so be carefull where you add the load.

Status
Not open for further replies.