Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: breaker off but lights are still on

Re: breaker off but lights are still on

deferrar,
    You never added in your post,where this might be a dwelling or commercial building wiring.Believe it or not,might could have been helpful in this trouble shooting analysis.More info was needed on the part of customer,to you,to us.

In my opinion,
    Just one of the things I'd check (maybe not the first),go to your Grounded Conductor bar(*neutral bar)
    *unhook and *rehook grounded (*neutral)conductor branch wires(one at a time)...

I suspect this may narrow it down, to the culprit.

*It ain't of the supernatural..

Has the customer asked for his money back yet?
    Personal integrity is everything,

I had a similar incident in a commercial building where someone had tied two circuits together--one was tripping the other was not. I found it because the wire coming into the tripped breaker was hot!!! I found in a j box where it looked like it had been tied together for some time so the problem had been there but the customer did not notice it until he was resetting a different breaker and that one kept tripping as soon as it was reset.

I would not go moving wires around in the panel like that. If the circuit is tied with another circuit downstream, find out what that circuit is first.
    Turn off the original circuit, then if lights are on, turn off breakers until you find the one that is keeping those lights on. If then you turn on the original(while the other is off) and the lights don't even come on, then you have a miss marked breaker. If the lights come on again with only the original breaker, then there are two circuits tied together. Now you can start troubleshooting those two circuits to look for the problem.

However, if you start putting the circuits on different breakers and you get a different phase from the original, then you could have a direct phase to phase short, or possible 240V across some loads instead of 120V.

Originally posted by milwaukeesteve:
    If then you turn on the original(while the other is off) and the lights don't even come on, then you have a miss marked breaker. If the lights come on again with only the original breaker, then there are two circuits tied together. Now you can start troubleshooting those two circuits to look for the problem.
    -------------------------------------------------

Steve,
    Breaker,or circuit is not miss-indentified,circuit(lighting and breaker),is known.Yep,sure your way will work turning off the breakers.

And yes more than likely, is two circuits tied together.But Steve,I'm going to be giving a tugg on every circuit branch wire,including the branch grounded conductors "one at a time", at each terminals anyway. I will be giving a twist with the screwdriver making sure connections landed, are snugg while I'm there looking into this panel.
    -------------------------------------------------- *However, if you start putting the circuits on different breakers and you get a different phase from the original, then you could have a direct phase to phase short, or possible 240V across some loads instead of 120V.
    *But I never said this,putting circuits on differant breakers..

Edited..this post,didn't lay-out right.Hope it can be read.

[ August 16, 2005, 06:21 PM: Message edited by: dillon3c ]