Smoke Detectors and children video

Status
Not open for further replies.

celtic

http://www.showmomthemoney.com/FireAlarms.wmv

The above link is to a short clip from a newsprogram showing that children do NOT hear the audible warnings from "standard" smoke detectors.

Has anyone anything to offer on this?
Opinions
Pro/Con
Link to a specific device/manufac.
etc.

The video is only 5 minutes long.
I have a copy downloaded if anyone wants/needs if the link should become "404" (3.8MB)...just PM with your email address and a subject line of "SD and children".

Thanks

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Smoke alarams wake adults up so I am not too concerned, however there are parents who leave their children home alone-- that is disturbing for more than the fire alarm reasons.

dreamsville

interesting

interesting

Sounds like an new interesting product. I can see where that device would sell itself. But what about the hearing impaired adults or children? Maybe connecting it to a light source also.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
We once did a house that ended up with 13 detectors. One was faulty from the get go and sounded the first night the home was occupied. Everyone of them was sounding, including one over the childs bed and 4 others on the same level. He never heard them. His mother had to wake him up.

My kids said they would hide under the bed if the detectors went off. I did not laugh at the time. We had long serious discussion and I usually tell that story to new home owners has we walk through to make sure they understand how everthing works.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Tom,
My kids said they would hide under the bed if the detectors went off.
It is very common for kids to hide even from real fires...firefighters are taught to search under the beds, behind furniture, in closests and places like that if kids are involved.
Don

bphgravity

I haven't received a copy yet, however this is what the NFPA is advertising for the NFPA 72 - 2007 edition.

New requirements for household fire warning applications, including smoke alarms with voice and expanded smoke alarm coverage for larger size homes

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
dreamsville said:
But what about the hearing impaired adults or children? Maybe connecting it to a light source also.
Like this?

electricsupplieson-line_1939_5881245

This is the Firex model, I'm sure other manufacturers make them as well. Google "_(Your brand)_ hearing impaired" and it will turn up results.

They are actually required to be installed on the outside of the structure, in a soffit facing the street, in homes built in Loveland Colorado. That way if there is a fire and the smokes are going off, the firetruck has a strobe to look for (in case the people standing in the street in their pajamas don't give it away). :)

Status
Not open for further replies.