meter location

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeff43222

Last underground service I installed had the meter socket right next to a window. Inspector signed off on it, and the PoCo didn't have an objections.

I'd still check with your PoCo, though.

kbsparky

Recently saw a job where the meter box was located under a window. The electrical inspector passed the installation, but the building inspector rejected the final.

Reason??

He stipulated that the window was a fire code required egress, and as such, could not be blocked by anything in front of or underneath in the event that someone needed to bail out in a fire situation. Clear egress was the rule.

The electrician who did the original install refused to move it (he had already been paid in full), and they ended up having to hire someone else to relocate it.

Jim W in Tampa

kbsparky said:
Recently saw a job where the meter box was located under a window. The electrical inspector passed the installation, but the building inspector rejected the final.

Reason??

He stipulated that the window was a fire code required egress, and as such, could not be blocked by anything in front of or underneath in the event that someone needed to bail out in a fire situation. Clear egress was the rule.

The electrician who did the original install refused to move it (he had already been paid in full), and they ended up having to hire someone else to relocate it.

I do see his logic in case of a fire but willing to bet many have far more things blocking that window (bushes,trees).

Status
Not open for further replies.