Supporting question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dewskee

hi, i'm new here, I found this site while I was googleing questions I had come across while working and talking to my journeymen. I was pretty excited about my previous questions being answered with a palethra of posts in these forums, so here I am..:).

Anyway, basically, I was wondering if anyone could point out the code, if there is one, that says there's a certain amount of feet that EMT or any other raceway has to be supported from a coupler. One guy says with/in 3ft and the other guy says that its not stated in the code book. I think it depends on if a coupler is considered a termination point? But I don't know, so any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

tyha

first of all, it's a coupling and no you only need to support the conduit every 10' and securely fasten within 3' of a box or conduit body. A coupling is not a termination point. A box or cabinet is. I beleive if you change over to another raceway method like flex, you should put a coupling within 3' and within 1' on the flex. This is what I tell my guys anyway. But conduit is a complete system from box to box. Remember 1' on your conduit bodies as well if you dont secure them. ( I think - somebody check me on that) I think it used to be that way.

Dewskee

niiiice, thanks for the speedy replys, btw, i'll never call a coupling a coupler ever again...lol.

I wonder why they took "fitting" out of the code book in the early 90s. Have you ever seen conduit bowing at the coupling before? Seems like it could be pretty dangerous, especially if an earthquake was brewing.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
There is no 3' rule in the 2008 NEC.

348-13.gif

iMuse97

niiiice, thanks for the speedy replys, btw, i'll never call a coupling a coupler ever again...lol.

I wonder why they took "fitting" out of the code book in the early 90s. Have you ever seen conduit bowing at the coupling before? Seems like it could be pretty dangerous, especially if an earthquake was brewing.

They brew a lot of those earthquakes out Nebraska way, don't they? :) Or was that tornadoes?
Seriously, you gotta get those guys a code book. But that still won't help with the "coupler" language. Check 358.30(A)(B)(C) for your answer. No, you don't need the strap.

iwire

Staff member
I wonder why they took "fitting" out of the code book in the early 90s. Have you ever seen conduit bowing at the coupling before?

I don't know why they took it out but they do not prohibit you from choosing to put a support near the coupling. Usually I shoot for no more than 1' from couplings ......... but I will admit I am glad I can choose not to if I want. :)

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I don't know why they took it out but they do not prohibit you from choosing to put a support near the coupling. Usually I shoot for no more than 1' from couplings ......... but I will admit I am glad I can choose not to if I want. :)

When I did it, I did it some what like Bob, but I always used two supports per stick, I always thought that it made a nicer job.

hurk27

I don't know why we think they took "fitting" out of the code book?

in the "99" it was in article 370, which got changed to cablebus in "2002", so Outlet, Device, Pull, and Junction Boxes; Conduit Bodies; Fittings was moved to 314 with the addition of manholes.;)

Dewskee

before I asked the question, I already checked article 358.30. The confusing part for me I guess is that a coupling isn't considered a tubing termination. It makes perfect sense that it's not b/c obviously you are continuing your pipe run. But, at the same time, you're ending one stick of pipe, and you are starting another. It creates in my eyes a substantially weaker link in your pipe run. Not that it matters though b/c a strap always ends up being with/in 3 ft of a coupling anyway, minus certain rare occasions.

It's definetely nice knowing that you don't HAVE to support with/in 3ft of a coupling, it can save a headache in some situations.

We have some heavy huskers here in nebraska, corn fed, you think the earth doesn't tremble when we walk around? Imagine if we get excited ;)

Jim W in Tampa

I am also one of them guys that tries to put my strap within 1 foot of the last stick or in first foot of the next. Adds almost nothing but lot stronger than coupling in the middle of 10 feet. But code wise you can do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.