Commercial Refridgerator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thirsty

I ran across a refridgerator the other day with a nameplate stating the unit needed to be protected from overcurrent at 15A maximum. The unit was plugged into a 20A duplex receptacle which was protected by a 20 circuit breaker. The unit is also thermally protected.

I know of no exceptions that allow a themally protected peice of equipment to be protected at anything other than what the nameplate says it has to be (in this case 15A).

We still use the 2005 NEC here in Connecticut but I have never heard of an exception to this since I've been an electrician (<2005 or 2008). Am I wrong to tell management they have a problem here? There are other outlets on the same circuit; so replacing all the outlets to 15A as well as the breaker or running a new circuit is not producing any smiles (if you know what I mean). There are several of these installations throughout the facility so an exception would be very attractive to them.

So, does anyone have any information that would brighten their day?

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I know I may catch some guff for this answer, but here goes anyway. As an inspector I don't care about cord connected (plug in) equipment. Now the reason is this, I go by a job and say that the refer doesn't comply and they say "oh, ok" and unplug it, now it complys.

I know that doesn't help, sorry.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
The Rockies beat the Phillies in game 2 yesterday.

It looks to me like 422.11(A) might require the 15 amp circuit.

db

And the Dodgers win #2 with two outs in the bottom of the ninth. One to go.

For the Mods. It was an electrifying game.:D

And I would have to agree with db above.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
If it came with a factory cord and plug, I'd have to agree with cowboyjwc. I have enough to worry about with the building wiring. What they plug in after is of no concern.

barclayd

And the Dodgers win #2 with two outs in the bottom of the ninth. One to go.

For the Mods. It was an electrifying game.:D

And I would have to agree with db above.

Thanks to a former Rockie (who took a Holliday on the field).
For the Mods. It was a game breaker.
db

Thirsty

I,too, was leaning towards an inline fuse setup as a solution. But I think I will hold off on mentioning it with the hope that maybe a dedicated 15A circuit will be installed. For me, partly because I'm not paying for it, I would like to see it done as it should have been done in the first place. Thanks for you thoughts/ideas.

If it came with a factory cord and plug, I'd have to agree with cowboyjwc. I have enough to worry about with the building wiring. What they plug in after is of no concern.

Generally speaking, we as electrical inspectors do not have perview over appliances that are plugged in. This may be up to the facility manager. The only section number that may apply here that I can put a finger on would be 110.3(B). But I do not think this applies to consumer goods in regards to an inspector's authority.

That is a good question, and why I mentioned "generally". There are so many appliances that I believe are not controlled by the NEC rules.
Pool pumps are specifically addressed in Article 680, so I would say the pool pump is addressed by the NEC.

mpd

Think of it this way:
a TV
a lamp
a computer
a radio
a fan
a childs(?) tabletop racetrack
a countertop microwave
a toaster

This list can go on and on.

the items you listed would normally not be on site at a final, there's a good chance the commercial ref. would be on site at final inspection

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Thanks to a former Rockie (who took a Holliday on the field).
For the Mods. It was a game breaker.
db

Probably won't be long before they pull the plug on us, but the team I coach is the Rockies. We always told our son in Denver that his brother would play for the Rockies one day, so we figured this might be as close as he gets.:D

barclayd

In my experience with the several commercial kitchens I have been involved with, the correct electrical requirements for all equipment would have been settled very early in the design stage.

Thirsty's situation sounds like a commercial refrigerator in something other than a commercial kitchen. (Somebody bought some of these and just plugged them in.)

My take would be - If these are "critical" refrigerators, run the proper dedicated circuits to each one. If not, leave them alone - don't mess with the in-line fuses.

Get somebody wearing a tie to define 'critical'.

db

growler

I ran across a refridgerator the other day with a nameplate stating the unit needed to be protected from overcurrent at 15A maximum. The unit was plugged into a 20A duplex receptacle which was protected by a 20 circuit breaker. The unit is also thermally protected.

I know of no exceptions that allow a themally protected peice of equipment to be protected at anything other than what the nameplate says it has to be (in this case 15A).

So, does anyone have any information that would brighten their day?

They do make plenty of power strips with a 15 Amp breaker built into the power strip. They can get surge protection at the same time. If it's mounted to the equipment and not laying on the floor it should be safe enough.

I would think that would protect the warranty of the equipment.

The first thing I would do is call the manufacturer of the equipment and see if they will authorize it being plugged into a 20 amp circuit and send a letter stating it in writing.

iwire

Staff member
Think of it this way:
a TV
a lamp
a computer
a radio
a fan
a childs(?) tabletop racetrack
a countertop microwave
a toaster

This list can go on and on.

As much as I may not like it IMO the NEC does not stop 'at the outlet'

Evidence of that is scatered in the NEC, for instance window mount ACs the NEC requres LCDIs in the cord, irons require some sort of shutdown. etc.

peter d

Don't we get into some listing and labeling issues here?

:D

*runs away and hides*

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
You could always use an offset nipple and mount a small fusible disconnect or breaker above or below the receptacle box. That way, you could protect that one receptacle at 15a.

Status
Not open for further replies.