RF energy standards

Status
Not open for further replies.

beekeeper

I have an area inside a building where we have measured higher than background RF energy. Does anyone know if there are any standards, even nonofficial ones, for acceptable levels of RF energy inside a building?

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
beekeeper said:
I have an area inside a building where we have measured higher than background RF energy. Does anyone know if there are any standards, even nonofficial ones, for acceptable levels of RF energy inside a building?

We know that very high levels of high frequency RF (like microwave) is very bad for you.

We also know that very low levels of RF at most frequencies are probably safe, although there are a few people who insist on claiming there is some risk with any level of RF.

i know this is not a real answer, but I suspect that unless the RF is burning holes in the walls, you are probably reasonably safe (slight exaggeration).

kc8dxx

FCC OET Bulletin 65

FCC OET Bulletin 65

beekeeper said:

There are federal limits on public exposure to RF Fields. The actual limit depends on the radiation frequency. FCC guidance for this topic is provided in OET Bulletin Number 65. Google for "FCC OET 65" or "RF SAFETY" for an obsurd amount of information on the topic.

As someone with an Amateur Radio license, I am obligated to perform an evaluation of my setup to ensure that I am compliant with the regulations. IMHO the same will be true of anyone who installs and operates transmitters.

www.fcc.gov wasn't working when I wrote this, but hopefully it will be up and running tomorrow so that you can do some further research.

I would be curious to know why you think you are being exposed to excessive RF Fields. Making the measurement is a difficult thing, and requires calibrated antennas and metering equipment, and a high level of experience using them.

beekeeper

The person occupying the workstation was concerned because of the readings on a RF meter that was used to test the area. I was called in to review the readings because I'm an electrical engineer within the company. But I have no experience with RF energy. The concern is mostly the result of not knowing anything about what is "normal or acceptable." I'm not sure why the readings were taken in the first place. Thanks for the references.

rgthomas

IEEE International Committee on Electromagnetic Safety C95.1 - IEEE Standard for Safety Levels with Respect to Human Exposure to Radio
Frequency Electromagnetic Fields, 3 kHz to 300 GHz

C95.6 - IEEE Standard for Safety Levels with Respect to Human Exposure to
Electromagnetic Fields, 0?3 kHz

C95.7 - IEEE Recommended Practice for Radio Frequency Safety Programs,
3 kHz to 300 GHz

ghostbuster

In our experience, cheap $200-$300 emf/rf meters for the general layperson will pick up "everything".For example will pick up:High frequency energy efficient electronic lighting ballasts,electronic dimmers,flyback frequencies of the computer monitors.As mentioned,you require professionally calibrated frequency specific antennaes and receivers to properly measure ambient rf. fields.Hope this helps.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.