12-volt lighting in wooden walkway

Status
Not open for further replies.

hardworkingstiff

This light comes with a 42" pigtail.

http://www.nightscaping.com/dial.htm

The GC wants to drill 4" x 4" posts (wooden walkway and wooden posts) and have the wire pushed down under the decking of the walkway. The AHJ has said they don't inspect this work (under 30-volts). The GC says everyone in the past just makes flying splices under the decking on top of the ground with water tight wire nuts (no junction box). Is this ok?

Does landscape lighting fall under the domain of the NEC?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Pierre C Belarge said:
I agree with you, as I see no real issue with the installation as you have explained it.
Pierre , if this was installed in the walls of a house it would be illegal so why can you hide the low voltage up a post concealed. My understanding it was okay if not concealed-- at least indoors. The rule changes for outdoor??? The code doesn't seem to address this. I personally have done what the post wants to do but....I am wondering

Dennis
I have noticed that you ask quite a few questions...that is a good thing as I tell people all the time...not that I always have an answer. Wait...I always have an answer, just not what people may want to hear.

In answer to your question, I am of the volition that the work outside of the building as per the post is permitted. Art 411 deals with concealed locations within the structure. ("through a building wall")

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Pierre C Belarge said:
I always have an answer, just not what people may want to hearIn answer to your question, I am of the volition that the work outside of the building as per the post is permitted. Art 411 deals with concealed locations within the structure. ("through a building wall")
Oh, contrare --- I want to hear it is legal because I have done it before and worried about it. I thought the same thing with through a building wall but it says where concealed or extended through a building wall-- If it meant concealed to mean in a building there would be a comma in there--NO??? More questions sorry.

Dennis
I am not sure where you are from, but if you come and install the same type of installation in Westchester County, NY I will approve the installation. :)

Then I will have to Cite you for installing electrical work in the County without a license. ;) :grin: :D

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Pierre C Belarge said:
Dennis
I am not sure where you are from, but if you come and install the same type of installation in Westchester County, NY I will approve the installation. :)

Then I will have to Cite you for installing electrical work in the County without a license. ;) :grin: :D
Thanks Pierre-- I'm in Chapel Hill, NC-- Lived in Brooklyn till I went to college -- the rest is history.

hardworkingstiff

Dennis Alwon said:
Oh, contrare --- I want to hear it is legal because I have done it before and worried about it. I thought the same thing with through a building wall but it says where concealed or extended through a building wall-- If it meant concealed to mean in a building there would be a comma in there--NO??? More questions sorry.

Dennis,

I read it as saying either/or

'concealed through a building wall'
'extended through a building wall'

Status
Not open for further replies.