Panel location?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prochrgd1

I have a quick question regarding a panel location for a site I'm working on in California. Can anyone tell me if it's possible to locate panels on the opposite side (swing) of a door as shown in the attached .jpg?

door location.JPG

bphgravity

Re: Panel location?

Not sure what I am looking at in that link, however, there is nothing in the NEC that prevents a panelboard or other equipment from being installed behind the swing of a door as long as you have proper working space and dedicated equipment space when the door is shut.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer

I see what you are trying to do. And I agree with Bryan. It is allowable to put the panel where you are showing it, with the door swinging into what would be the "working clearance" space.

LawnGuyLandSparky

Anyone care to hazard a guess as to when panels & switchgear have to become "ADA compliant" and handicapped / wheelchair accessable? :eek:

paul

I can see the pros for this, but it's a real drag when you're working in a panel and someone comes flying through the door and slams you into a live panel. I'd rather move the items out of the way.

Either way, what you have is code compliant.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

Originally posted by bphgravity:
Not sure what I am looking at in that link, however, there is nothing in the NEC that prevents a panelboard or other equipment from being installed behind the swing of a door as long as you have proper working space and dedicated equipment space when the door is shut.
The part he clouded is in red. Two panels behind the door.

door%20location.JPG

benaround

paul,

If working in this panel,the electrician before even opening the panel cover,should make sure that the door could not come flying open.

Some yellow or red caution tape or a sign taped to the door or many other ways to convey that you or your helper are working behind this door.

You could probally get away with all that many,many times before you or your work buddy did get clobbered, but it only takes 5 min. to do.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
the one good thing: the panel isn';t blocked by 5 years of office old files or 2 weeks restaurant can goods.

Status
Not open for further replies.