Lighting Control Panel

Status
Not open for further replies.
:roll: A NJ electrical inspector is stating the lighting control panel must have emergency back up because if a relay goes bad the lights on that circuit will not work. I discussed with him stating that the control panel is simply a light switch and politely said if a wall switch goes bad there is no emergency back up on a light switch. He disagreed. The building is already equipped with emergency lighting. Has anyone run into this case?

bdarnell

Occupation
Retired Engineer
Welcome to the forum, Ted.

Ask the inspector if he can kindly cite the code reference for his request. If a light switch goes bad, the lights on that circuit won't work either. I know this speaks to your point, and there are numerous other examples you could use. (Lighting contactor, circuit breaker, etc.)

To answer your question, I have installed hundreds of lighting control panels and have never had this come up with an inspector. I just finished one with an inspector who knew every chapter and verse of the Code and I have to believe that he would have called us on it if it existed.

Good luck

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
First ask him for a code reference. Then when he can't give you one ask for an apology. :wink:

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
There is a requirement that unit equipment be on the same branch circuit, or three or more circuits in an area. Maybe he is concerned about this? If a relay does go bad, will the emergency lights go on? Is it possible that if the controller goes bad, that all the lighting circuits will go off, and the emergency lights still won't come on?

Sometimes I run the emergency lights through a contact in the lighting panel just to eliminate this posibility.

Steve

dlhoule

I don't know where you are located, but in a lot of places the electrical inspector isn't the one to deal with for areas of life safety. Most of the emergency lighting and exit lights are not maintained in a lot of facilities anyway. Walk into any hotel, restaurant, or similar bldg more than 5 years old and see how much of the emergency lighting is operational. These are battery backup units I am referring to.
I'd also ask for Code section of the Life Safety Code that you are not complying with.

tshea

Ted Haefner said:
:arrow: :D Thanks for the advise. The inspector is now saying it is a life safety issue.

Must be a combo inspector. Life Safety usually falls under Building Code, but some is Electrical.
When he finally gives you the Code violation and reference, let us know.

dannay

Re: Lighting Control Panel

Ted Haefner said:
:roll: A NJ electrical inspector is stating the lighting control panel must have emergency back up because if a relay goes bad the lights on that circuit will not work. I discussed with him stating that the control panel is simply a light switch and politely said if a wall switch goes bad there is no emergency back up on a light switch. He disagreed. The building is already equipped with emergency lighting. Has anyone run into this case?

It seems he might not know what's going on. If a relay is bad then it is bad...period, what does emergency anything have to do with it?

Is his concern that light fixtures with an emergency ballast will not go into emergency mode?

Status
Not open for further replies.