Mechanical pipe benders and wire pullers

Status
Not open for further replies.

vilasman

I have been looking at and lusting over the mechanical pipe benders and wire pullers and the vacuum fishing equipment in the greenlee and GB catalog. How big should the job be to invest in such equipment?
To ask the same question from the opposite direction, if I find myself in a posistion that I can buy it and it not hurt, would it be wise to go ahead and get it and consider it an investment in future work?

celtic

vilasman said:
I have been looking at and lusting over the mechanical pipe benders and wire pullers and the vacuum fishing equipment in the greenlee and GB catalog. How big should the job be to invest in such equipment?
When you realize that you are/potentially will be losing money due to labor costs being through the roof.

vilasman said:
To ask the same question from the opposite direction, if I find myself in a posistion that I can buy it and it not hurt, would it be wise to go ahead and get it and consider it an investment in future work?

Only if you can forsee yourself ever using them.
These items will also take up some of your real estate in terms of storage.

vilasman

Storage real estate is a manageable problem. I have a farm that I can stick stuff on.

So let me ask you this. General principle, the more labor saving junk, ah, equipment, you can incorporate into your game, the better off I will be?

bkludecke

Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I have rarely regretted buying tools/equipment. Usually I wonder why I waited so long. I've also got alot of stuff that I should have sold off years ago. If you can see yourself using it more than twice per year, buy it. Also look into renting first, you can learn alot about what you like or don't like that way.

celtic

vilasman said:
So let me ask you this. General principle, the more labor saving junk, ah, equipment, you can incorporate into your game, the better off I will be?
Absolutley.

If your business model changes...say you go from wiring to data/com...you can always sell that equipment - or in your case, BUY that equipment from someone that has no need for it ;)

A rather large EC here in NJ went belly-up a few months back - they sold EVERYTHING....from wire and boxes to benders and tuggers to the vehicles.
I can't find the link...but the point is....you can buy what others have no real estate for and in the process, save yourself some money while making money.

wireman3736

When I first went into business about 4 years ago I drooled over owning all that stuff, About a year ago my ex boss was going out of business so I asked him what he would take for his pulling equipment, he said $1,200 so I grabbed it right away, it's a greenlee 4000# tugger, 686 package, has the box, extra sheaves, pulling clevis, 3/4" rope and many other extras that he let go with it.

I had my supplier price out every thing new and it was over $7,000. It may be 30 years old but has been well maintained, I've used it for pulling in quit a few undergrounds since I bought it, at least I don't have to worry about a guy running a back hoe ripping the wire apart. he had a hydraulic bender up to 3" ridged but I remember it not working all that good when I used it so I didn't buy it. I admit I wouldn't have bought it if it wasn't such a good deal but it's nice to know I don't have to worry how I'm going to pull the wire when I have a long pull to do.

Back to your question, I don't know when it makes since to invest into something like that but I know I have invested into allot of equipment in 4 years, some I have only used once but I feel I'm still in the process of building my business so when I need it I have it. Also I'm a one man operation (for now) sometimes subbing out to others to help me but what ever I can buy to make it easier for me (in my budget) then why not make my job easier.:D

Last edited:

emahler

Can I get notice of the bankruptcy clearance sale? :)

Look into equipment leasing if you really want to have something of yours. There are tax advantages and cash flow benefits.

Renting is a good way to go in many cases...rent a tugger..it doesn't work - "send me another one pronto" Own a tugger, it doesn't work..."Pull is postponed till I can fix this thing"

If you can rent it for less, rent it. Bucket trucks, scissor lifts, anything. If my monthly note on a bucket truck is $400, but I can rent one for $200/day. If I'm not using that truck at least 3x month (36x a year) it's cheaper to rent than to deal with the cost, insurance, maintenance, etc.

Last edited:

brian john

I believe he (or she) who dies with the most tools wins. My philosphy has always been, If I need it once try to rent it, need it twice buy it, if I can't rent it buy it. I do cover the cost of most test equipment (and tools when possible) as a part of the job

Status
Not open for further replies.