Bedrooms - Switched Receptacle or Ceiling Light?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnE

I wire ceiling lights and no switched receptacle typically. But my customer actually decides (usually a builder). Some choose to go just a switched receptacle, some prewire for ciling fans. If they're asking for my opinion, I recommend the prewire for the fan. But I prefer just the ceiling light. I'm not crazy about the looks of fans except in certain places like sunrooms, and family rooms with high ceilings. Especially since every house gets central air nowadays around here. I also suggest split wiring every receptacle if it's in the budget. I have some builders who choose to do that in the master, living room, and family room as standard.

So, to answer the question, I go with a ceiling light and no switched receptacle typically. But there are exceptions.

boboelectric

LarryFine said:
If I had my 'druthers, and the customer's blessings, I'd recommend installing a fan box w/ 3-wire, just in case, and three switches: 1st one for the ceiling light (red), 2nd one for the fan (capped black if no fan now), and the third for split-wiring all of the receptacles.

Otherwise, it's the customer's call.

Amen,larry. Although installing a ceiling fan box where there is none covers my phone bills.

Bob O.84,Pa.15330

tallgirl

Occupation
Controls Systems firmware engineer
plate said:
Ok, you've got me thinkin', do tell.

I didn't mean to be gone this long, but between being sick as a dog, my boss pestering me about my status reports and a friend deciding to go into labor (and I don't mean the blue collar kind :) ), oh, and my stupid kitchen computer deciding to break, I've been busy.

This is what I do whenever I'm allowed to get creative --

1). Rooms with multiple entrances that are more than 12 feet apart, definitely a 3- or 4-way at each entrance. Open floor plans -- where there are no walls between the "rooms" -- require a bit of extra thought. I try to imagine walking around the house and making sure I don't have to turn lights on in one "room" so I can turn off the lights in the other "room". I screwed that up on my house -- I have to turn on the "dining room" lights at night so I can walk to the front door and turn off the "living room" lights. Bad Julie, no biscuit.

2). Each end of a hallway, even if there are multiple "ends" -- think T's and L's and other such shapes, stairways included. Stairways are a likely place for a 4-way situation.

3). Dittos for 3-ways on split receptacles. The most common use for split receptacles is floor and table lamps. If there are 3-ways controlling the overhead lights, use 3-ways for the split receptacles as well. I hate stairways where the switches are at the landings only. The last house I wired with my father was like that and I thought it was stupid. Not that I'd ever tell him that (or make that mistake ever again).

4). All floods should be on 3-ways, with all flood lights brought into the master bedroom as well as wherever else they are. I think this is a really nice feature -- if I hear a noise outside at night, it's pretty close to daylight in my entire yard 5 seconds after I freak out. Since floods aren't visible from where the switch is, indicators are a must. If you're doing the alarm wiring as well, make sure there's a keypad above the switches in the master bedroom. An added bonus for those of us who really are paranoid -- if the light doesn't scare the noise away, there's always the "panic" button :). For some idiotic reason ($$$), a lot of homes are wired with one alarm keypad. I have 3 keypads because I'm (a) lazy, (b) paranoid and (c) single.

Not on the subject of 3-ways, but something I like to do if I have my way, is receptacles underneath switches in hallways. I think that's a nice place for nightlights. You might have to put an extra receptacle or two in the hallway this way, but I think it makes a house more livable.

LawnGuyLandSparky

Sounds like Tallgirl read "Living better electrically."

Where can I buy the bedside lamps you see on TV, that control every light in the room, and also turn the moonlight on if there's to be any "after-lights-are-out" discussion? :-D

Status
Not open for further replies.