jack chain to concrete ceiling

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkgrady

I'm looking for ideas on how to hang 16-8 foot flourescent strips from a 17' high concrete ceiling. The conduit (EMT) system and junction boxes and new wire are in place. I did all that before the room got filled with boilers and piping. The fixtures are to be hung on chain about 8-9 feet above floor. With all the obstacles in the room, it will be hard enough just getting to the ceiling to connect the cable (12-2 MC) to the junction box. The cable will be tie wrapped to the chain. There is a lot of rebar in the ceiling so I don't want to drill the ceiling and use anchors and eye bolts. I was thinking of shooting something into the concrete that I could connect jack chain to. I don't know what that something would be.

iwire

Staff member
Assuming the concrete will take a shot I would use a Viper with angle clips. Hook the jack chain to the clip first then shoot the clip in from the floor.

Sometimes in old cement I find I can not get consistently reliable holding and then I must drill.

BTW, 12/2 MC down to the fixtures on jack chain is a violation unless you happen to have stranded MC.

mkgrady

That looks like a pretty nice looking product. I would consider it if I decide to drill the concrete. I'm hoping for something I can shoot in with a gun.

mkgrady

iwire said:
Assuming the concrete will take a shot I would use a Viper with angle clips. Hook the jack chain to the clip first then shoot the clip in from the floor.

Sometimes in old cement I find I can not get consistently reliable holding and then I must drill.

BTW, 12/2 MC down to the fixtures on jack chain is a violation unless you happen to have stranded MC.

Thanks. This is what I was hoping to find. I'll find a local Ramset dealer. I assume they will know what you mean by clips when I ask for them.

I didn't realize solid conductors would be a problem Thanks for pointing that out. This is a job I don't want to do twice. What would you use for cable?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I don't think that some rebar in the deck will affect an SDS gun drilling a 1/4" hole. We do it all of the time. Then you could install an anchor, hang the chain and call it a day.

celtic

Drill, shoot...what's the difference?

If you drill and hit rebar, you relocate the hole.
If you shoot and hit rebar, you relocate the hole.

My question...which would be more cost efficient?
Both methods require a layout....while the man is in the air, he could drill (and hump along x-cords, bang in achors,hang the chain etc) or shoot a stud in (Hilti DX gun, Hilti also makes a variety of anchors/studs, and hang the chain).

I would opt for a Hilti set-up:
de00671.jpg

[
DX 351 Powder Actuated Fastening System w/ MX 32 Magazine]

de00600.jpg

[
1/4 in. Studs for Concrete]

You can also get studs in a 3/8"...but that might be a bit overkill for strip lights.

EDIT...
ca00177.jpg

[
Ceiling Clips]

Last edited:

iwire

Staff member
It's funny Celtic, the company I work for uses Hilti powder actuated tools for hand use but sticks with the Vipers for 'pole' work.

viper_pole_guy.jpg

I have no doubt they buy a few a year so I have to imagine they have found the Vipers more cost effective.

celtic

I prefer Hilti over Ramset...all opinion of course ;)

Bob...what I find funny is....the ceiling guys run around like lunatics with their sticks shooting clips all over the place...the EC comes along and just drops their fixtures into place...then Mr. EI comes by and fails the lights - not secured to the deck. Why wouldn't the EC - who has probably failed on this numerous times - buy the ceiling guy coffee and say..."Shoot me 2 extra clips over each light". Even if the ceiling guys best guess (and having the benefit of the reflected ceiling plan) is wrong 40% of the time, that's still 60% closer to passing :)

iwire

Staff member
celtic said:
I Why wouldn't the EC - who has probably failed on this numerous times - buy the ceiling guy coffee and say..."Shoot me 2 extra clips over each light".

I can't see that happening on most of the jobs, the ceiling guy would tell likely tell us 'fogeda aboud it'.

We just shoot our own, in MA independent support of fluorescents is required but we do not have to attach to the grid. However many of the job specs require both.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
iwire said:
mkgrady said:
I didn't realize solid conductors would be a problem. What would you use for cable?
Same question here, please.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Larry, 410.28 (E) is the article and section

(E) Stranding Stranded conductors shall be used for wiring on luminaire (fixture) chains and on other movable or flexible parts.

I have bought it from a few different suppliers and AFC is what we seem to get the most.

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.