Requirement for Red Dyed Concrete?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve Merrick

Is there a requirement in any code or standard that I am not aware of for encasing power conduit in red sand or red-dyed concrete, or is this just a tradition or a "good-practice?"

I am seeing it being required more and more in construction specifications, and I would like to understand the basis for this requirement. Also, OSHA frequently enforces "general industry practices" under its General Duty Clause, so if its use becomes widespread, it could become a big issue for compliance.

Thanks!
Steve Merrick, PE

Rockyd

Occupation
Retired after 40 years as an electrician.
In Alaska, at the pipeline terminal it was always part of the spec's, for over 600VAC, but we buried miles of 480 in GRC and a scare tape. Part of that may come from the fact that the line is under DOT regulation.

Davis9

Steve Merrick said:
Is there a requirement in any code or standard that I am not aware of for encasing power conduit in red sand or red-dyed concrete, or is this just a tradition or a "good-practice?"

I am seeing it being required more and more in construction specifications, and I would like to understand the basis for this requirement. Also, OSHA frequently enforces "general industry practices" under its General Duty Clause, so if its use becomes widespread, it could become a big issue for compliance.

Thanks!
Steve Merrick, PE

I've had it required when crossing a public roadway with Primary Conduits.

Tom:smile:

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
My Dad has remarked about red concrete installed in NW Arkansas back in the late 60's, early 70's around the University of Arkansas campus. I've never seen it, myself.

I do not know of an NEC code requiring it for any voltage.

kingpb

Occupation
Engineer, Registered
There is no code requirement for this. It is specified so that if/when the ground is excavated again, it will be evident that there are power cables below, prior to digging them up. It is hit and miss when it is required. Some clients require it, some don't. some engineers only specify this way, others have never heard of it. It is quite common with universities.

There is a cost adder for the die in the concrete, and owners may not want to pay. An alternative that I have seen is that the contractor painted the top of the duct bank prior to backfill. it was quite a bit cheaper. Not sure if longterm it will last, but it was quite a bit cheaper, and the client went for it.

ed downey

Another alternative that I have seen is to place standard concrete and then sprinkle red dye powder over the top of it when the concrete is wet.
-Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.