stacking runs of romex

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwirehouses

When did they stop allowing 2 runs of romex to be put under blue staples? I see 2 runs of 2 wire romex under a blue staple pass inspection all the time, but it is my understanding that you need a red staple. And where does it state this? on the box of the UL listed staples?

iwirehouses

My teacher told me. He's an inspector and he said people are getting nailed for still using staples with blue insulation to stack romex. He says you need red ones. Naturally, I thought whatever the UL listing is. Upon checking my boxes of GB staples, I realized the older boxes said you can stack two runs of two wire, - whereas the new boxes don't have any instructions. So I took his word for it.

iwirehouses

Well, he said the red one because they're longer. Have any of you heard of not being able to use standard staples to stack romex (2 runs of 2 wire)?

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
iwirehouses said:
. . . people are getting nailed for still using staples . . .
Now, that's a bad pun!

iwirehouses said:
Have any of you heard of not being able to use standard staples to stack romex (2 runs of 2 wire)?
Not ever have I had two cables under a single staple mentioned. Even two 14/3's will fit side-by-side under a 1/2" staple, and two 12/3's under a 9/16" one.

Three or more cables get stackers. I like the flexible ones better than the rigid ones with the snap-down flap.

tallgirl

Occupation
Controls Systems firmware engineer
stickboy1375 said:
I think he's a little misguided? I've seen every flavor under the sun, but no color guide...

I've forget the brand, but they have vinyl insulation on them that's supposed to make them "safer". In my experience the insulation doesn't survive the installation process and they are a worthless gimmick. I bought a box of red and a box of blue. And that was the first, and last, of them I ever bought. Now I buy whatever comes in the biggest, cheapest plastic jar I can find.

electricmanscott

Here in Mass the NEC is ammended to require insulated staples. They are no different to install than noninsulated.
As for the original question, when you say "standard size" what do you mean. There are different lengths out there which may factor in here. I have seen blue, red, yellow, black, tan. etc. The color has no bearing on the size.

tallgirl

Occupation
Controls Systems firmware engineer
electricmanscott said:
Here in Mass the NEC is ammended to require insulated staples. They are no different to install than noninsulated.

They're no different to install than regular, uninsulated staples, but making sure the insulation stays intact after they are installed is a significant challenge.

Are you sure we're talking about the same vinyl insulated staples? These look like they were held upside down by the pointy end, then dipped in a soft vinyl goo and allowed to dry. The vinyl gets smashed to bits after being whacked with a hammer and I'm not convinced it stays intact between the underside of the staple and the top of the Romex.

I'd go for something a bit more durable than what I've used, I've just not seen anything I'm convinced makes a difference, other than the staples that are plastic in the middle with nails on either side.

mark henderson

I have been called for more then 1 romex under a slandered staple 1/2 by 11/8". If you read the GB bow it does state 2 conductors well there are 2 conductors in a 12-2 or 14-2 romex. The inspector made us get GB ms-XL staples witch are 1/2 by 1 3/4". They allow 2 to 4 CABLES not conductors.

Here is the pdf file with all that and the colored staples as well.
CLICK HERE

HOPE THAT WORKED
Mark

romeo

stacking runs of romex

iwirehouses said:
Well, he said the red one because they're longer. Have any of you heard of not being able to use standard staples to stack romex (2 runs of 2 wire)?

I did some wiring for my daughter,the inspector required the longer staples with the red insulators. I just used them,never checked the listing of either of the staples.

I do not require them the standard staple with the blue insulator seems to do the job just fine to me. I do not permit 3wire romex to be stacked though.

iwirehouses

Yea, the standard blue staples always worked fine for me too. Thats why I was wondering when inspectors started calling that. Seems like it just started recently.

Status
Not open for further replies.