white wire reidentified as traveler (yes or no)

Status
Not open for further replies.

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
roger said:
Why do we need to reidentify the white conductor anyways, isn't it obvious as to what is doing when you see it connected to any switch?

As I recall from previous discussions of this topic, at some point in the past the equivalent code section to 200.7(C)(2) did not have the requirement for reidentifying the conductor. I believe there was even a FPN which mentioned that this meant that 200.7(C)(2) replaced 200.7(C)(1) for these applications, and that reidentification was not required.

(Please note that this is hear-say, from distant memory.)

-Jon

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Jon, this particular NEC requirement is due to a proposal aimed at protecting DIYers, which IMO has no business in the NEC.

I believe Don had posted the ROP once.

Roger

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
I personally am quite comfortable with _always_ re-identification when a white conductor is used as an ungrounded conductor. The problem that I have with 200.7(C)(1) combined with 200.7(C)(2) is that many people see 200.7(C)(2) as supplanting 200.7(C)(1), rather than as parallel. I see these as _separate_ permissions to use a re-identified white conductor in potentially different circumstances.

I read 200.7(C)(1) as always requiring re-identification, and 200.7(C)(2) as now redundant (though not redundant under older code or under the MA modifications).

Others read 200.7(C)(2) as applying to all switch loops, and 200.7(C)(1) as applying to all other re-identification situations.

For some three way scenarios, the latter interpretation forces what I consider worse use of color coding. Not a biggie, since someone who is supposed to be messing with these circuits should be able to figure them out :), but the poorer color coding disturbs my sense of order :)

-Jon

Minuteman

I don't think this is off the subject - much.

I went with a new hire to install a 3? 480 volt welder in a Oil Tool shop. The thing was used (from Texas) and had a piece of 8/4 "SO" cord on it. We pulled 3 #6 THHN conductors and "phase taped" them BOY. Without skipping a beat, new guy hooked the Brown to the black on the "SO", the Orange to the red, and the Yellow to the white. I looked it over and fired it up. Thank you very much, is there anything else we can do for you? We are going back today to hang some lights.

My point?

The white in the "SO" cable is now a ccc. It was connected to the "C" phase by somebody before and we re-connected it to the "C" phase. I figure even even a Texan (and my new guy) knew that the white was not a grounded conductor.

Or, maybe there is no point?

I have one question about travller on white wire i think this been beat to death before but i will like to know how many state / local code allow to remark the white wire for trallver ??

I will like to hear your feed back on this one

[ the reason why i am doing this because i am working on new NEC code book and translateing to French so it will help some of my French speaking freinds understand more clear with NEC ]

Merci, Marc :D

mario

still in the dark ...

still in the dark ...

yo keenalu ... please forgive me (and the others) but what "was" the original question ... m

edited ... just read the rest of the posts ... wrote this after page 2 ... sorry ...
I remember the last thread on the subject .. it was quite enlightening ... m

Last edited:

sparky252

I stumbled upon this post, probably only my 10th ever as I am a brand new participant here. Glad that OP is not the norm for style or I would never learn. It made the codebook look like written in "See Spot Run" style.

Really, I just wanted to try my new signature. :)

allenwayne

I used 2 wire travellers to 1 Make it easier when wanting a traveller and pull a 2nd 2 wire for power.I dont like carrying several rolls of NM around LOL.Also it gave the trim guys something to think about.:)Can`t tell you how many hooked up a receptacle to the travellers when they saw a black and white wire.The owner told me to stop it so I did but I still want to run a 2 wire traveller but now have to tape it.
I can`t have any fun anymore......

Status
Not open for further replies.