Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim W in Tampa

raider1 said:
110.26(A)

110.26(A) doesn't require a piece of equipment to have "serviceable parts" to need the required working space.

Read the section "Working space for equipment operating at 600 volts, nominal, or less to ground and likely to require examination, adjustment, servicing, or maintenance while energized shall comply with the diminsions of 110.26(A)(1), (A)(2), and (A)(3)..."

How do you check for voltage without the disconnect being energized?

Again I don't think that fuses are required for a disconnect to need to meet the requirements of 110.26(A)

Chris

So my question again is does a breaker lock solve anything.He still needs to work on it live.We can simply turn off the main breaker to solve this.Actually that is an idea because my main is outside in sight.Does nec say i cant kill everything to meet this requirement ?

raider1

Staff member
Jim W in Tampa said:
So my question again is does a breaker lock solve anything.

The question comes down to this:

Is the disconnect "Likely to require examination, adjustment, servicing, or maintenance while energized".

I would say that a breaker lock would not relieve the disconnect of the requirements of 110.26(A) because it is likely that the service tech will check for voltage at the disconnect.

Chris

Jim W in Tampa

raider1 said:
The question comes down to this:

Is the disconnect "Likely to require examination, adjustment, servicing, or maintenance while energized".

I would say that a breaker lock would not relieve the disconnect of the requirements of 110.26(A) because it is likely that the service tech will check for voltage at the disconnect.

Chris

I 100% agree

jwelectric

McDowellb said:
110.26. Show me in the code where it is required to have clearance in front of a non-fused disconnect. It does not have serviceable parts. There is ABSOLUTELY NO reason or code to have clearance in front of a non-fused disconnect.

110.26 is the section that addresses this disconnect. It requires the distance of no less than 30 inches wide and 36 inch depth.
This is reiterated again in 440.14 where the disconnect is required to be readily accessible.

McDowellb said:
What about a light switch then???? Or the receptacle behind the refridgerator. "You've seen the rest now hire the best" is my motto

404.8 Accessibility and Grouping of switches. Let?s not forget the requirements in 210.70 for the placement of some switches.

406.3 General Installation Requirements. Sends us to part III of 210 where the rules concerning the placement of receptacles are covered.

422.16 are details on dishwashers, disposals, cooking appliances and range hoods.

422.33 are details on cord-and-plug-connected appliances and the cord-and-plug-connected range.

Does this help you understand the placement of switches and receptacles?

Was you trying to use these devices to compare to the disconnect at the air conditioner?

Well let?s take a closer look at the last nine words in 110.26(A);
?or as required or permitted elsewhere in this Code.?
Seeing as how switches and receptacles are covered elsewhere in this code I don?t think they can be compare to the AC disconnect.

Once again could you please point me to where there is a distinction between a fused and a nonfused disconnect?
My motto is; ?To Be The Best Is To Know The Rest?

jwelectric said:

110.26 is the section that addresses this disconnect. It requires the distance of no less than 30 inches wide and 36 inch depth.
This is reiterated again in 440.14 where the disconnect is required to be readily accessible.

404.8 Accessibility and Grouping of switches. Let’s not forget the requirements in 210.70 for the placement of some switches.

406.3 General Installation Requirements. Sends us to part III of 210 where the rules concerning the placement of receptacles are covered.

422.16 are details on dishwashers, disposals, cooking appliances and range hoods.

422.33 are details on cord-and-plug-connected appliances and the cord-and-plug-connected range.

Was you trying to use these devices to compare to the disconnect at the air conditioner?

Well let’s take a closer look at the last nine words in 110.26(A);
“or as required or permitted elsewhere in this Code.”
Seeing as how switches and receptacles are covered elsewhere in this code I don’t think they can be compare to the AC disconnect.

Once again could you please point me to where there is a distinction between a fused and a nonfused disconnect?
My motto is; “To Be The Best Is To Know The Rest”
There are NO SERVICABLE parts. Answer me this, what about the disconnect / receptacle for the fridge????? Now the ball is in your court. You still have not shown me the code that says ALL disconnects require clearances. The reason you can't is because there isn't one. You are adding all switches, receptacles, and disconnects as being required for servicing..... Bogus.....

jwelectric

McDowellb said:
jwelectric said:
110.26 is the section that addresses this disconnect. It requires the distance of no less than 30 inches wide and 36 inch depth. This is reiterated again in 440.14 where the disconnect is required to be readily accessible.
jwelectric said:
404.8 Accessibility and Grouping of switches. Let?s not forget the requirements in 210.70 for the placement of some switches.
Well let?s take a closer look at the last nine words in 110.26(A);
?or as required or permitted elsewhere in this Code.?
Seeing as how switches and receptacles are covered elsewhere in this code I don?t think they can be compare to the AC disconnect.
My motto is; ?To Be The Best Is To Know The Rest?
There are NO SERVICABLE parts. Answer me this, what about the disconnect / receptacle for the fridge????? Now the ball is in your court. You still have not shown me the code that says ALL disconnects require clearances. The reason you can't is because there isn't one. You are adding all switches, receptacles, and disconnects as being required for servicing..... Bogus.....

I did answer your question about the refrigerator but you didn?t look it up so I will post it here for you to read, will that help?
422.33 Disconnection of Cord-and-Plug-Connected Appliances. (A) Separable Connector or an Attachment Plug and Receptacle. For cord-and-plug-connected appliances, an accessible separable connector or an accessible plug and receptacle shall be permitted to serve as the disconnecting means. Where the separable connector or plug and receptacle are not accessible, cord-and-plug-connected appliances shall be provided with disconnecting means in accordance with 422.31.
As you can see this section gives relief from the requirements of 110.26

To address you question; ?You still have not shown me the code that says ALL disconnects require clearances.?

Well let?s look real close to at the first 14 words in 110.26(A) paying close attention to the 12th word.
Sufficient access and working space shall be provided and maintained about all electric equipment

Here in the past two posts I have given you code sections that will address any question about the switches and receptacles throughout a building.
Now please point me in the direction of these fused and nonfused requirements,

jwelectric said:
I did answer your question about the refrigerator but you didn’t look it up so I will post it here for you to read, will that help?

As you can see this section gives relief from the requirements of 110.26

To address you question; “You still have not shown me the code that says ALL disconnects require clearances.”

Well let’s look real close to at the first 14 words in 110.26(A) paying close attention to the 12th word.
Sufficient access and working space shall be provided and maintained about all electric equipment

Here in the past two posts I have given you code sections that will address any question about the switches and receptacles throughout a building.
Now please point me in the direction of these fused and nonfused requirements,
When you come out of the basement at your moms house. Does your fridge have a seperate disconnect???? I don't think so. Is it behind the fridge? Most likely.

Jim W in Tampa

Equipment as defined by nec covers switches and receptacles,light fixtures,etc.They are all 100% likely to be inspected atleast once on the final electric.Really dont think they intended to apply 110.26 here.Face facts,we need the code book rewriten.Most of the disagreements on this forum come down to the wording.

jwelectric

McDowellb said:
When you come out of the basement at your moms house. Does your fridge have a seperate disconnect???? I don't think so. Is it behind the fridge? Most likely.

Yes the refrigerator has a disconnect and yes it is behind the refrigerator as allowed by 422.33 if you have the ability to read that section.

McDowellb said:
There are NO SERVICABLE parts. Answer me this, what about the disconnect / receptacle for the fridge????? Now the ball is in your court.
Being as I have addressed the ?fridge? of yours that you are stuck behind several times I shall not tell you about 422.33 again.

McDowellb said:
You still have not shown me the code that says ALL disconnects require clearances. The reason you can't is because there isn't one. You are adding all switches, receptacles, and disconnects as being required for servicing..... Bogus.....
Yes I have shown you where it mandates that ALL EQUIPMENT is required to have this working space but you keep trying to add words to that section that are not there. Where are you finding the words ?NO SERVICABLE parts??

Instead of trying to bolster your thoughts across try to address the question that has been directed to you by several people, that is if you Mom will let you come out from behind the ?fridge?

hillbilly

90.1 Purpose
(A) Practical safeguarding. The purpose of this Code is the practical safeguarding of persons and property from hazards arising from the use of electricity.

It's a cold, snowy winter night and the heat goes off. The A/C man arrives at the house armed with flashlight, voltmeter and tools. He goes around the house to find a disconnect for the Heat pump that is located behind and below the unit. He squeezes himself between the unit and the house, bends over and pulls the disconnect. He then pops the cover and while trying to hold a flashlight, his numb fingers turn the meter on and he tries to insert the probes to check for voltage. As he's bending and twisting to try and see into the disconnect his glasses slip down on his nose and as he reacts his foot slips and he trys to balance himself. In doing so his fingers "accidently touch one of the hot terminals in the disconnect. Since he's wedged between the grounded unit and the house, the circuit is made. The people in the house notice the lights blink. Another statistic.
This is not a true story (to my knowledge) but I'll bet that it's happened more than once.
That disconnect needs working space. In my mind, the code is clear on this point.
OK....I've had my "Mickey Spillane" moment for today.
steve

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
mcdowellb,
Where does 110.26(A) say that it doesn't apply if there are no "serviceable" parts in the equipment? That may very well be the intent of the rule, but it is not what the words say.
I am the one that says 110.26(A) applies to switches and receptables, because as it is currently worded it does. There are two things that trigger the application of this code rule and if you have both of those things, you must provide safe work space. The first thing is "do you have electrical equipment?" Looking at the definitions in Article 100, we see that just about everything is electrical equipment. The second is a bit more subjective. Is the equipment likely to " require examination, adjustment, servicing, or maintenance while energized". If this answer is also yes, then you must provide the safe work space. There are no exceptions. I don't see the last few words that say "or as required or permitted elsewhere in this Code", as providing any relief. This wording is refering to code sections like what was in 670.5 in the 2002 code.
We have to read all of the words in the code section and not add or subtract anything from the code wording. We can't interject what we think it says, or what we want it to say, or what someone has told us it says. When you read the words it is very clear as to the application of the section. The rule is flawed and needs a major rewrite, but CMP 1 has refused to accept any changes to correct the existing flawed wording. Yes, it is ignored for many items of electrical equipment, and rightly so, but just because "that is how we do it" doesn't mean that it is not a violation.

Last edited:

ryan_618

According to the instructions on GFCI receptalces, you are supposed to test them monthly. You can only test them while they are energized. As Don points out, having a GFCI (or any receptacle) above a countertop violates the literal language of 110.26(A).

kingpb

Occupation
Engineer, Registered
According the the HVAC guys, your supposed to have your units periodically checked to make sure they are operating properly and efficiently. Wouldn't the manufacturers recommendation then be construed to say that the disconnects need to have safe working clearances? After all they wil be periodically checked.

allenwayne

It all comes down to ENERGIZED .You can debate that a service tech MIGHT test while energized.But that isn`t the point .If a disc. falls 1/2 in over the edge of lets say a a/c unit then in order to comply with working clearance rule one of two things must happen.1 - move the disc. 2 - lock it out.The AHJ can`t say what a service tech might do in the operation of his tasks.All he can do is inspect per NEC.Does it have clearance if not the lock out takes energized out of the picture,Even though the service tech probably won`t use it .It is there and thats the fact.If he decides to not use it well that falls on him and not the EC or the AHJ.As far as requiring a switch to comply with 110.26.A ,unless it is a switch used for a disconnect then it doesn`t have to comply.At that point it is a device and at that point it carries and not utilizes electric energy.For those who want to argue that point lets go back to a bedroom closet light switch having to be afci`d :).Now lets take a switch used as a disc.That IMO would have to comply with working clearances .If not then as with a disc.(not ENERGIZED )Lock it out.I have never been called out on receptacles like lets say a counter top receptacle that does utilize electric energy but if I was.A lock out would take working clearance out of the picture in that senario too.And I would defy any inspector to show me where if not energized that a lock out wouldn`t change the situation.So as to be CODE COMPLIANT.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
The AHJ can`t say what a service tech might do in the operation of his tasks.All he can do is inspect per NEC.Does it have clearance if not the lock out takes energized out of the picture,Even though the service tech probably won`t use it .It is there and thats the fact.
The inspector can't take the upstream lockout into consideration. If it is likely to require examination, adjustment, servicing, or maintenance while energized, then you need the work space in 110.26(A) no matter how many upstream lockouts exist.
As far as requiring a switch to comply with 110.26.A ,unless it is a switch used for a disconnect then it doesn`t have to comply.At that point it is a device and at that point it carries and not utilizes electric energy.
While a switch is a device, it is also ?equipment? and is covered by the rule in 110.26(A) if you read and apply the words as written. Of course this rule is not applied as written because compliance would be impossible in many cases. This ridiculous rule is just ignored for the most part, but sometimes ignoring one rule, even a poorly written one like this, leads to installers ignoring other rules too. The answer to this problem is a rewrite of the rule, but CMP 1 does not seem to like that idea.
Don

raider1

Staff member
don_resqcapt19 said:
The inspector can't take the upstream lockout into consideration. If it is likely to require examination, adjustment, servicing, or maintenance while energized, then you need the work space in 110.26(A) no matter how many upstream lockouts exist.

Well said, I agree 100%.

Chris

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
don_resqcapt19 said:
To take this to the extreme, an equipment disconnect should have a disconnect ahead of it for when it requires servicing.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Larry,
To take this to the extreme, an equipment disconnect should have a disconnect ahead of it for when it requires servicing.
That is a good point. When you are working in a disconnect or panel where the line terminals are energized, you are working on or near energized equipment and PPE suitable for the shock and arc flash hazard would be required.
Don

dlhoule

don_resqcapt19 said:
Larry,

That is a good point. When you are working in a disconnect or panel where the line terminals are energized, you are working on or near energized equipment and PPE suitable for the shock and arc flash hazard would be required.
Don

It is my understanding that if the line terminals are covered, (can't be touched without removing cover. Once you have confirmed power has been removed from load side, you no longer need the PPE. Having said that I would not be working near those line terminals without it, but in some panels those line terminals are quite a distance from where the work needs to be done.:confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.