Switch to disconnect my dishwasher and range?

Status
Not open for further replies.

czars

Czars
Occupation
Florida Certified Electrical Contractor
The 2005 NEC, Article 422.30, states that a means shall be provided to disconnect all ungrounded conductors from permanently connected appliances.

My new, yet to be installed dishwasher, has a 6.6A motor and a it provides a total load of 11.5 amps. The dishwasher has a START button, but no STOP button. It's electrical connection is designed for a permanent wiring connection. My service panel is not within sight of the dishwasher and has no provision to allow the locking of the dishwasher circuit breaker in the open position.

Is article 422.30 saying that I have to install a disconnecting means (switch)somewhere within the kitchen? Do the control switches on my permanently connected range satisfy the requirement to disconnect all ungrounded conductors?

haskindm

The disconnect for your range is usually the attachment plug. 422.34 allows the switches to be used as the disconnecting means under certain conditions. You will need to determine if it applies to your appliance. Are you saying that there is no means to stop the appliance once it is started? That seems to be a poor design...

Mike03a3

haskindm said:
The disconnect for your range is usually the attachment plug. 422.34 allows the switches to be used as the disconnecting means under certain conditions. You will need to determine if it applies to your appliance. Are you saying that there is no means to stop the appliance once it is started? That seems to be a poor design...

Probably just pop the door. My dishwasher doesn't have "stop" either.

[edited to correct engineer's attempt at spelling]

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
The unit switch must disconnect the power to the appliance to qualify as a disconnect. Many newer appliances with electronic controls do not perform that function and require a separate disconnect. Unless the unit has a cord and plug your best bet is to install a $2 breaker lockout at the panel.

iwire

Staff member
infinity said:
The unit switch must disconnect the power to the appliance to qualify as a disconnect. Many newer appliances with electronic controls do not perform that function and require a separate disconnect.

I agree.

Unless the unit has a cord and plug your best bet is to install a $2 breaker lockout at the panel.

Hope the DW motor is less than 1/8 HP (at 6.6 amps it is doubtful) if the breaker is out of sight. ;)

iwire

Staff member
Jim W in Tampa said:
Bob,re read it slowly ,you missed something

What?

The exception?

It does not apply in this thread as the OP stated the DW does not have a 'unit switch'.

I had never really looked that hard at 422.34 (that should be 422.32) until the other day, I was surprised.

Edited in correct code reference

Last edited:

benaround

Jim,

I think Bob meant 422.32. Disconnecting means for motor driven appliance.

Bob, if I'm wrong ,I'm sure you will find the words!

Jim W in Tampa

iwire said:
What?

The exception?

It does not apply in this thread as the OP stated the DW does not have a 'unit switch'.

I had never really looked that hard at 422.34 until the other day, I was surprised.
I am reading it to say that the internal switch is ok long as i have another means of turning it off.See nothing about the breaker being in sight.

NoVA Comms Power

Jim W in Tampa said:
I am reading it to say that the internal switch is ok long as i have another means of turning it off.
I read 422.34 as the internal switch only "counts" if it denenergizes the "line" conductor(s).

I doubt if the electronic controller's "stop" pushbutton actually does this.

The "in sight" verbiage is actually in 422.32.

Last edited:

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Jim W in Tampa said:
Ok so unless i am reading it wrong,in a normal home i can simply use a breaker lock out no matter what type of switch it comes with.Or did i mis something ?

I agree Jim.

iwire

Staff member
Jim W in Tampa said:
Ok so unless i am reading it wrong,in a normal home i can simply use a breaker lock out no matter what type of switch it comes with.Or did i mis something ?

No.

If the switch on the unit does not qualify as a 'unit switch' you must provide a disconnect in sight.

In other words the OPs DW with a 6.6 amp motor (clearly larger than 1/8 HP) and is only equipped with a start button will need to have a disconnect of some type in sight (a cord and plug come to mind) a breaker lock alone will not meet NEC requirements.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
iwire said:
No.

If the switch on the unit does not qualify as a 'unit switch' you must provide a disconnect in sight.

In other words the OPs DW with a 6.6 amp motor (clearly larger than 1/8 HP) and is only equipped with a start button will need to have a disconnect of some type in sight (a cord and plug come to mind) a breaker lock alone will not meet NEC requirements.

Why? 422.31(B) specifically says that if the appliance has a motor over 1/8 hp then a breaker lock can be used.

422.31 Disconnection of Permanently Connected Appliances.
(B) Appliances Rated Over 300 Volt-Amperes or Horsepower. For permanently connected appliances rated over 300 volt-amperes or 1/8 hp, the branch-circuit switch or circuit breaker shall be permitted to serve as the disconnecting means where the switch or circuit breaker is within sight from the appliance or is capable of being locked in the open position. The provision for locking or adding a lock to the disconnecting means shall be installed on or at the switch or circuit breaker used as the disconnecting means and shall remain in place with or without the lock installed.

We put a plug under the sink for every Dishwasher & disposal.
last 2 kitchen remodels I did the Disposals & DW's both came with attachment cords already installed.
First time I saw this on a DW.
For a retro fit , you can pull the NM feed thru to under the cabinet & install a plug in a handy box.
No need for a wall switch on the back splash or breaker lockouts, etc.
How free king simple can this be?

Status
Not open for further replies.