Scary Photo!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tonype

Traffic light pole (light is canilevered about 30 feet out over the road)somewhere in NJ. Saw this as I sat at the light yesterday Photobucket on a very windy day :eek: :eek: - I was not very comfortable. I wonder what the electrical tape is for?

Tony

PS: I did contact two municipal agencies (Traffic and Engineering Divisions) - hopefully this gets corrected very quickly.

PSS: Light was operable

Brian D

Re: Scary Photo!!

Nice picture! The electrical tape is there to keep the wiring from going all over the place, we wouldn't want anyone to get hurt!

tonype

Brian:

My guess is that this pole got in the way of a vehicle (those pesky poles) - someone then used the electrical tape to tuck in those wires after the base was blown away at impact. Don't those bolts look good!

Tony

jimwalker

Don't worry,them bolts will bend slowly as the pole hits the ground.They are saving money by removing the pole this way.The new one is on back order and will be there in a few years. :D

induster

eh, looks like a temp repair... probably got hit in the middle of the night and they are waiting on a part.

tshea

Originally posted by hbiss:
Nahh, looks like some idiot installed anchor bolts that were about a foot too long then another idiot installed the pole on them.

-Hal
The pedestal is missing (blown up). Probably stolen for it's cash value :D

Ken9876

The pedestal is missing (blown up). Probably stolen for it's cash value
That's probably not far for true. In the area I work out of a guy was removing the bolts that hold the meter cabinet down, and lopping off the service conductors. He eventually got smart and started removing the screws that hold the back board on, leaving the meter and disconnect free standing.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer

Originally posted by tonype:I wonder what the electrical tape is for?
That electrical tape is there to prevent the wind from blowing all the electrons out of the wires. :p

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member

This type of pole foundation has a metal cover that encloses the bolts. When removed it allows access to the PVC conduit stub to pull in wires.
Out west, the poles have anchor bolts with nuts on both sides of the pole base plate. The base plate sits about 2" above the top of the foundation, after leveling this area is filled with hydraulic grout that expands and pushes up on the base plate, to keep it tight.

tonype

Went past the site again today - unfortunately, despite my calls to 2 city agencies, nothing has been done, especially with respect the electrical wiring (remember the recent incidents in NYC - a dog "frying" comes to mind).

Anyway, if anyone knows someone in Newark, NJ or Essex County, this traffic light pole is at the southwest corner of 4th Avenue and Broadway.

Status
Not open for further replies.