panelborad or load center as j-box

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwire

Staff member
jmshiller said:
Our local inspector recently asked me to show him where in the code we could use a panel as a junction box?

Actually I believe they would have to show where it says you can't.

Do you mean just splicing some conductors in a panel or ripping out the interior and using it only as a junction box?

jeff43222

iwire said:
Actually I believe they would have to show where it says you can't.

Do you mean just splicing some conductors in a panel or ripping out the interior and using it only as a junction box?

Both are fairly common practice around here. I've never seen anything in the code that prohibits either.

That's a pretty lame inspector if he thinks the burden of proof falls on us.

iwire

Staff member
jeff43222 said:
I've never seen anything in the code that prohibits either.

I agree.

I was asking only because if it's just adding splices in a panel we could cite a code section that specifically allows it. :)

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
iwire said:
I agree.

I was asking only because if it's just adding splices in a panel we could cite a code section that specifically allows it. :)

That would be 312.8.

chrisrosado

splices in the panel

splices in the panel

I'm sorry Trevor, but does that mean that you can splice the ungrounded conducters, the grounded conducters, and the grounding conducters?

celtic

chrisrosado said:
...does that mean that you can splice the ungrounded conducters, the grounded conducters, and the grounding conducters?

Yes, but not all together ;)

You can splice any conductor within the panel as long as you do not exceed the fill requirement.

Rockyd

Occupation
Retired after 40 years as an electrician.
408.55 and 408.56 will get you as close as it will say in the code. Strange not to have the 40% and 75% spliced language not in this section. I think 75% is as much a you can shove in with the rubber end of the hammer and not have an explosion isn't it? /sarc>

celtic

stickboy1375 said:
I don't think I would enjoy service upgrades If I had to install j-boxes for all the old BX's that were an inch short of hitting the breaker. :)

Me neither..that's why I plant a 12x in a convient location ;)

stickboy1375

Thats alot of extra work... then a splice in a panel I mean... but I suppose if you install a conduit from your 12x to the panel whats the difference in labor, actually probably faster...would be alot neater, I really don't like the look of splices in a panel if I can help it...

celtic

stickboy1375 said:
Thats alot of extra work... then a splice in a panel I mean... but I suppose if you install a conduit from your 12x to the panel whats the difference in labor, actually probably faster...would be alot neater, I really don't like the look of splices in a panel if I can help it...

It's all the rage nowadays...I did it my own home :)

A 12x off to the side, 5 x 3/4"EMT, each pipe with 6 circuits +/- in them...most are "spares" aka, will be used when I reno the kitchen, add landscape lighting, etc.

The "beauty" of it is...I will never have to open my panel...all the wires (spares too) are already landed.

..being as it's my own home...overkill is an under statement.

ibew441dc

jmshiller said:
Our local inspector recently asked me to show him where in the code we could use a panel as a junction box?

Code speaking , the inspector would be correct if he said that you could not use a panel as a junction box........

ibew441dc

But it is legal to use a cabinet enclosing a panelboard as a junction box if adequate space is provided.

Show your inspector the definitions, panelboard and cabinet in 100 , then take him/her to 312.8 in the 2005 NEC.

hope this helped

ibew441dc

Status
Not open for further replies.