Old School Terminology

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am taking an electricity test (CTKT) that my company gives for advancement. Rumor has it that they use the old school electrical terminology. Does anyone have recommendations where I can study up on that older terminology?

Rockyd

Occupation
Retired after 40 years as an electrician.
Vernacular terminology for the industry should always be what it is. Don't believe the rumor mill. Take the test, and if it's obviously not a test with credibility, challenge the results.

Know your NEC, theory, and practical? Time to move up!

ceknight

littlemommyholly said:
I am taking an electricity test (CTKT) that my company gives for advancement. Rumor has it that they use the old school electrical terminology. Does anyone have recommendations where I can study up on that older terminology?

See this thread: http://www.mikeholt.com/code_forum/showthread.php?t=81761 :)

But seriously...I don't think you're going to find electrical terminology grouped into "old" and "new" school categories. We're still dealing with amps, volts, watts, circuits, switches, receptacles, transformers, meters, grounding, bonding, overcurrent protection etc even in our more modern schools. So I'd think any basic text would suit you fine.

Good luck,

JES2727

Right off the top of my head, I'd say "old school" may apply to common terms such as "neutral" and "ground wire". Youngsters would know these as "grounded conductor" and "grounding conductor". So much easier back in the day.

Last edited by a moderator:

kingpb

Occupation
Engineer, Registered
They may use MCM, wheras KCMIL is the new way.

If it's not multiple guess (choice), a good test taking skill is to always state your assumptions. If you see a term you don't know what it is, write out what you think it means, and be clear.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.