AFCI on an existing circuit ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buck Parrish

I have to make two existing outlets switched outlets (top of the duplex)

I will have to remove the old metal boxes because of box fill. But I will put the existing (decorative) outlets back in the new outlet box.

Then I will have to install a new wall switch and box. I'm useing romex #12

Do I need AFCI protection, as per code ?

M. D.

Here is a little insight from the code making panel

Submitter: David Zinck, Wiring Inspector / Rep. Newburyport, MA

Recommendation: Add two additional sentences.
This requirement shall apply to new dwellings or new branch circuits in
existing dwellings. It shall not apply to modifications to existing circuits in
existing dwellings.

Substantiation: An electrician is call to a small room renovation. The
homeowner has a carpenter remove a short section of wall. They find there is a
wire running through it. The electrician simply has to install a plug on either
side of the opening and run a new wire between the two. Most electricians
could leave the truck running and do this job.
But there is a problem.
The electrician finds that it is a multiwire branch circuit. He would have to
rewire them in order to install an arc-fault circuit breaker. He also finds that the
panel is a ?Push-Matic? (or any other brand no longer made) panel that is flush
mounted in a finish room. Now he has to replace the panel, or install a new
panel, plus rewire the two circuits, just to be able to install arc-fault circuit
breakers.

What is really going to happen is the electrician is not going to pull a
permit or get an inspection and he is going to just install the two plugs. Or the
carpenter is going to do it himself because he never carried the $800 this job
just turned into.
The added wording would eliminate this problem by allowing simple
modifications to be done without requiring the AFCI circuit breakers.

Panel Meeting Action: Reject
Panel Statement: The decision on applying the new construction AFCI
requirements to a circuit modification is that of the authority having
jurisdiction.

Number Eligible to Vote: 12
Ballot Results: Affirmative: 11 Abstain: 1

Explanation of Abstention:

ORLOWSKI, S.: Please see NAHB?s Comment on Proposal 2-152.

cadpoint

AMENDMENT 210.12 (Effective January 1, 2009)

210.12 Are-Fault Circuit-Interrupter Protection. (AFCI)
(B) Dwelling Units: All 125-volt, single-phase, 15- and 20- ampere branch circuits supplying outlets installed in dwelling unit family rooms, dining rooms, living rooms, parlors, libraries, dens, bedrooms, sunrooms, recreation rooms, closets, hallways, or similar rooms or areas shall be protected by a listed arc-fault circuit interrupter, combination-type, installed to provide protection of the branch circuit.
Note: This requirement for AFCI protection shall become effective January 1, 2009. It shall be permitted to meet the 2005 NC Electrical Code Article 210.12 for bedrooms until that date

Based on North Carolina Code NC BEEC

Depend on the County or City Inspection they might have waivered your particular install, your mileage might vary.

glene77is

M.D.,

"" The decision on applying the new construction AFCI
requirements to a circuit modification is that of the authority having jurisdiction. ""

I have seen the AJH waive the AFCI requirement
because there was no "New / Moved Wall" involved.

But he did require 120V Smoke Detectors per code, to replace the Battery ones that existed.

He did suggest, but did not require, that all K&T be 'upgraded', which suggestion I took to the HO and then to the bank. In leaving, after posting the Green Tag, he asked if there was any 'old wiring left', and grinned at my 'No" answer. He invited me to come back to his little town.

Just have to try to get along.
The AHJ represents the other side of the same street.
:)

M. D.

Glen, I would be surprised if the "He" is the AHJ ,in any case I'm not so sure "He" can just walk around granting waivers...and creating requirements.

The EC had better get that in writing and even than I think the EC would be in a tough spot if something happened.

Getting written special permission is not a 'get out of jail' card.
In order for the AHJ to provide the written special permission, there has to be a good reason, such as the alternate method is suitable for the installation in regards to safety.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
I have to make two existing outlets switched outlets (top of the duplex)

I will have to remove the old metal boxes because of box fill. But I will put the existing (decorative) outlets back in the new outlet box.

Then I will have to install a new wall switch and box. I'm using romex #12

Do I need AFCI protection, as per code ?
I work in Minnesota. We have State inspection under one AHJ for much of the State, except for the localities that have set up their own AHJs (think - many cities).

The State of MN electrical AHJ has published, in a newsletter, Summer 2009 CCLD Review the following Q & A (on page 13):
Q: When a new outlet (i.e. point on the wiring system at which current is taken to supply equipment) for a receptacle, smoke detector or gas fireplace is extended from an existing branch circuit in a dwelling, is arc-fault circuit-interrupter (AFCI) protection required for the entire branch circuit, per NEC 210.12? What if an AFCI device was not available for the existing electrical panel?

A: No. The National Electrical Code (NEC) applies to NEW installations. Existing electrical installations that do not comply with the provisions of the current code shall be permitted to be continued in use unless the authority having jurisdiction (AHJ) determines that the lack of conformity presents an imminent danger.
This came out of the Minnesota IAEI Spring Meeting held Apr. 15, 2009.

In my experience, this shows my AHJ reversing their former opinion on the matter.

I understand that this new stance, that is, allowing existing branch circuit alterations and extensions on a non-AFCI protected branch circuit to be left, upon completion of the changes, without AFCI protection, came from the Code Making Panel (CMP) statement, and other similar CMP statements, that M. D. cites above in the first reply to the OP.

So, Buck, maybe a print out or an email of this IAEI stance to your local inspector will yield some interesting results. :)

Last edited:

glene77is

iWire,

This was an "Existing circuit",
handled during a renovation.
We replaced existing bedroom circuits,
did not install anything new,
relating to the bedroom circuits.
I'm thinking this was "grandfathered".
Maybe that is what the AHJ was thinking.

I have read the several posts, with interest.
Thanks.

Buck Parrish

The AHJ did not require it. As quoted in a previous post or several.
Here they require it if you install a new circuit. Not when you alter one.
Thanks for the responses !

Status
Not open for further replies.