Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Last night, when I posted my corner-sink poll, I was going to post two at once; but I unplugged my computer with my big toe accidentally after the first post, got disgusted and went to bed.

Consider the following drawing:

Givens:
  • This desk is indisputably in this kitchen.
  • It is built in, is constructed of the same materials as the cabinets supporting the countertops in the kitchen.
  • The surface of the desk, and of the wall behind it, is tiled exactly the same as the countertops.
  • The desk is called a "desk in kitchen" option on the specs sheets.
  • The desk is at 30" above finished floor.
  • The countertops are at 36" above finished floor.
  • There is an upper cabinet over the desk, the desk itself consists of a large center drawer (as in, over the lap of someone seated), with three drawers to the right of someone seated.
  • All receptacles & phone jacks in the entire area shown are installed at 48" to the top of the box.

Does this desk receptacle need a GFCI?

benaround

George,

As it says desk in KITCHEN, instead of office,computer play area, or tagging it on the prints as not the kitchen,I voted for the 2nd choice.

In reality how can you say it is not part of the kitchen cabinets,it has more than one use. jmo.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
The code only requires GFCI protection for receptacles that serve the kitchen countertop. There is no GFCI requirement for receptacles that serve the kitchen desktop.
Don

chicar

With all that counter space,and items labeled for thier perpose,thier should not be any reason why this desk would be considered kitchen counter. I would install a g.f.c.i. Because to me it,s a better install. :D

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I voted not required or recommended. Not every horizontal surface in a kitchen is a countertop.

Remember I'm also of the opinion that not every receptacle on a kitchen island serves the countertop.

Jim W in Tampa

I would have fed it as a slave just to avoid the hassle.Your in a gray area.Can you honestly say no appliance could ever end up on it ?From what your showing i think its safe but i a have been known to have parties that had over 80 people and in a pinch i might jus have a couple coffe pots or warmer on it even if just for one night.

pierre

If this is not a countertop, and it is a desk, is the receptacle required to be on the small appliance branch circuit?

If the receptacle was placed below the "desktop" would it not be serving the "countertop" and this would be a moot question?

What is the definition of countertop?

Who is to make the decision of whether or not this is a countertop.?

Do countertops have to be 36 inches?

If the architectect were to write on the print that portions of the countertop are something else, does that mean they are not countertops?

My answer to the question is... you will have to wait until I get some answers to the above posted questions. :wink:

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I wonder why all receptacles serving counter tops require GFCI protection? If they are in close proximity to a sink, than OK that makes sense, but a counter on the other side of the room still requires GFCI protection but a wall receptacle right next to it doesn't. I'm still missing the reason why all of the countertop receptacles require it. Anyone have a thought?

pierre

It is possible due to food preparation or other reasons, that there could be a considerable amount of water/fluid on the countertop, even if that portion of the countertop is not in the vicinity of the sink.

aftershock

Here in Memphis, TN they require us to GFI protect all outlets in the kitchen area except those for like the fridge, microwave, D&D, ect.
Does not matter if they are on a countertop or near the floor.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
I interpret this "desk" as countertop.

For those who don't, would you even require a receptacle above it?
Either the fridge or the pantry would be a break in the wall space; so there would need to be a receptacle within six feet of the pantry to be compliant if this were not a countertop. The receptacle could be installed above or below the desk and still comply with 210.52(A).

I'm going to repeat this question, as I thought it was important enough to mention when I was debating this with the inspector about the house. His response was interesting, but I'm not going to post it yet.

So, if you would require a GFCI...
What happens when someone plugs in their surge protector, and puts their computer on this desk?

Jim W in Tampa

If this is believed to be a counter top then view the picture and tell me how come it only has 1 outlet but looks to be well over 4 feet.To inforce the gfci you would need to inforce the 2 foot rule too.How can i change my vote ?I am backing off on needing the gfci

Status
Not open for further replies.