GFCI in non residential kitchen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim W in Tampa

jtester said:
I'm not a plumbing designer, but I believe that commercial kitchens are required to have 3 compartment sinks, wash-rinse-sanitize. If you have a 2 compartment sink I think you have an argument that it's not a commercial kitchen.

If you loose the argument, ask the inspector why a 1 or 2 compartment sink is permissible, unless the plumber is your friend.

Jim T
Well if its not residential then it is an OTHER THAN.I really dont think nec gave this enough thinking.Plenty of gray print to wash in that sink.What exactly is PERMANENT ? Bet i can remove it.

Last edited:

jtester

Jim W in Tampa said:
Well if its not residential then it is an OTHER THAN.I really dont think nec gave this enough thinking.Plenty of gray print to wash in that sink.What exactly is PERMANENT ? Bet i can remove it.

The point I was trying to make is it might not be a "kitchen" if it doesn't have a legal sink. At that point the GFCI rule would be moot.

Jim T

Jim W in Tampa

jtester said:
The point I was trying to make is it might not be a "kitchen" if it doesn't have a legal sink. At that point the GFCI rule would be moot.

Jim T

Actually i like that.We could use that to make them back off if they say my break room is a kitchen.Any chance you could post that code ?

Hmmmm, no 3 compartment sink, no kitchen! I like that!

Of course if you use that you will be adding GFI's and a new sink!!!!

Jim W in Tampa

Sparky5150 said:
Hmmmm, no 3 compartment sink, no kitchen! I like that!

Of course if you use that you will be adding GFI's and a new sink!!!!

Nope,not changing nothing.Its not a house and its not a kitchen.Your only getting gfci within 6 feet.

marcb

Banned
Jwelectric make me some cookies in that "Range" and a pizza. What does the ice box look like. Do you still have to have the ice shipped in? 38

Jim W in Tampa

jwelectric said:
Well what if I have one of these in my kitchen but not an electric range?

942R%20stove.jpg

My wife learned to cook on one of them.I am hungry ,any chance it for sale.

jwelectric

Jim W in Tampa said:
Many offices now include some very nice break rooms.Just where does a break room stop and a kitchen begin ?A microwave is very much a means of cooking,i carry one with me from job site to jobsite for my lunch.Is that not cooking ?

NO!!! That is warming up what is already cooked.

Jim W in Tampa said:
So because you cant see them does that mean they aint there ?I can see 5 of them
Not necessarily. But there's another thread about disconnects that some of the people posting would require 30"x36" clearence in front of them. Perhaps a chain-saw or a sawzall would be the answer.

jwelectric

marcb said:
Jwelectric make me some cookies in that "Range" and a pizza. What does the ice box look like. Do you still have to have the ice shipped in? 38

Just in the summer time. During the winter months we just cut a block out of the pond in the back yard and bring it in. It don't last as long as that dry ice but it is a lot cheaper.

ice%20box.jpg

jtester

Jim W in Tampa said:
Actually i like that.We could use that to make them back off if they say my break room is a kitchen.Any chance you could post that code ?

I asked a couple plumbing designer friends, who say it is a health code requirement. I called the guy at the City whom they recommended, and will let you know if I can find the code.

Jim T

Jim W in Tampa

jtester said:
I asked a couple plumbing designer friends, who say it is a health code requirement. I called the guy at the City whom they recommended, and will let you know if I can find the code.

Jim T

If that proves to be the case i have a customer with an illegal kitchen in her small office building.She has a kitchen many would kill to own.Has everything from built in micro and range ,pig,dw,pantry,chandelear,cans ,etc..Next room is a dining room.She simply loves to cook and spends many long hours at the office.In reality its used just the same as residential.It was called break room on print

raider1

Staff member
but I believe that commercial kitchens are required to have 3 compartment sinks, wash-rinse-sanitize.

Not according to the NEC.

The NEC has it's own definition of a commercial kitchen as related to the requirements of 210.8(B)(2)

"...A kitchen is an area with a sink and permanent facilities for food preparation and cooking."

Chris

jwelectric

raider1 said:
"...A kitchen is an area with a sink and permanent facilities for food preparation and cooking." Chris

I have posted a picture of my cook stove and frig above. Now I am asking if this is my sink, does the NEC rule still apply?

WashtubSmall.jpg

raider1

Staff member
Here is Webesters definition of a sink

a stationary basin connected with a drain and usually a water supply for washing and drainage

I don't think your bucket meets the definition of a sink.:D

Chris

Jim W in Tampa

There still are places in Ky that dont have even that fancy of kitchens.Many still use bucket and chains and out houses.And the amish dont even use electric so guess they dont need any gfci

jwelectric

WashtubSmall.jpg

Like your six-in-one tool this container can serve many purposes.

As shown in the last post it can be used for a place for much thought during the night. Be sure to cover it so that you will be able to go back to sleep without much discomfort.

On the way out in the morning be sure to carry it with you. You will learn to use this only once especially if you sit up thinking earlier that night.

Where you stop for your morning moment of thought would be a good place to empty the container that was used during the night. Making this a habit you will learn to empty the container down stream from the point where you are to wash out the container, and let?s hope that you catch on real quick to wash the container down stream from where you are to get a container full of water to bring back in with you.

What water that is not used for cooking and coffee is used to wash the dishes after breakfast. Take this used water to the barn with you, add a little chop and slop the hogs. Go back to the creek to get water for the cow, be sure to clean the container and after the cow drinks her belly full of water use the rest to clean the cow and milk the cow.

Take the milk into the house and pour milk into the churn. Add a pinch of yeast to help it clabber for churning. Be careful not to get too much or the butter will mold.

Return to creek to wash the milk out of the container each time it is used to carry milk. Should this step be skipped the container will smell to foul to leave under the bed at night. While at the creek take bath (if its Saturday) and retrieve water for supper where all the steps above will be repeated.

Handy little thing. Thinking about getting myself another one but I would be afraid that I would forget and leave it under the bed all day. It ain?t to bad in the summer cause all the winders are open and a night spent sleeping out doors will give the container a chance to air out.

Status
Not open for further replies.