Stressed out in NC over future in Electrical Construction

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK..here goes...I am currently a US Marine pending medical retirement in the very near future (within a couple of months).

I'm 36 years old, 14 of which I've spent in the Marine operating forces.

Prior to joining the Marines in 93', I worked as a Journeyman Electrician in Maine after attending a technical college, working, and ultimately taking and passing the Journeyman's test on the first attempt.

I worked mainly commercial and industrial jobs: schools, jails/prisons, waste treatment facility, hospitals, airports etc. for experience.

Now, I'm freaking out realizing that A) my military career is ending very soon, and B) I need to find a job to support myself and family.

All I really want to do or see myself doing is being a electrician....I love it..it's fun for me, it challenges me mentally, and I enjoy working with others.

I've been hired tentatively by a local contractor starting out at $12-$14 hr with a lot of work around this area.

Now, I'm questioning the possibility of being involved with the IBEW as a JW, but I don't know if my age will screw me or being a disabled veteran.

What do you guys think? I've hooked up with www.helmetstohardhats.org but have not heard anything back yet from any of the NAJTC facilities.

I have electrical experience, training, and a lot of intangibles from the Marine Corps that I feel any employer would like to have in an employee. I'm smart, dedicated, punctual, have led armed Marines in combat (if you can do that you can do anything ) etc.

Help...I'm stressed the hell out here.

You can PM me direct if you'd like.

Moderators note: Edited to remove e-mail address

Last edited by a moderator:

celtic

NC_Electrician said:
Help...I'm stressed the hell out here.

At this point, I'd say "No news is good news"...kinda lame, but true ~ you haven't recieved a "rejection notice" yet right?

If you should get a rejection from H2H or the IBEW....there are STILL other opportunities for you ...Utility Companys like to train their own people. I've got a few other cards you could play...you have the background - electrician, taking orders/giving orders, and all that.

IMHO, you ARE highly employable ....just might need to look under a few more rocks.

Does "NC" mean North Carolina...or is it a military term?

I'm at Camp Lejeune North Carolina..the infamous swamp with buildings:D

I may have a possible Union job, I don't know...but with a wife and kid, I can't afford to drop the ball at the 20 yard line.

celtic

wayni said:
Are you working as a JW?

I hope not....

NC_Electrician said:
others.

I've been hired tentatively by a local contractor starting out at $12-$14 hr with a lot of work around this area.

I think $12 - $14 is low for North Carolina ...if that's what the OP is talking about ??

NC is strange...the licensing board is nuts with their criteria, especially for the wages that can be expected.

The good thing with NC is that most areas are relatively cheap as far as the cost of living goes.

I'm communicating with a local in Tennessee now, and thus far it sounds good, but again, I'm open to the best offer for myself and family (I have a bouncing baby Min Pin and a Boston Terrier too:cool: :grin: )

wayni

mdshunk said:
Isnt't that historically about right for a non-union JW in NC? I think NC and TN are right in that range.

Wow. What's union scale there, do you know?

If OP has a current JW electrical license to work in NC (assuming that NC issues licenses) he might be able to test into the local. I don't know any details but he can ask at the hall.

mdshunk

celtic said:
I think $12 - $14 is low for North Carolina ...if that's what the OP is talking about ??
Maybe, but consider what it costs to live around Jacksonville/Swansboro, it's okay. Not great, but okay.

If he's in the military, a relocation seems in order, since he's semi-used to it. Much more money to be had in other parts.

I'm really hoping the Tennessee gig comes through for me...it's relatively close to where my wife is from in SW Virginia. The pay scare there is much better and a similar cost of living.

The cool thing with being medically retired is that I'll have a retirement check in every month, in addition to VA benefits.

I truly love the job, I can't see myself doing anything else to be honest.

I'm smart, dedicated, love to go to school to learn more and more, and I'm a team player.

I have the job here in Jacksonville if I want it, if nothing else materializes...which is not that great $$, but it will do until I can lock into something better...but I'd rather just move once and be done with it.

celtic

NC_Electrician said:
I'm smart, dedicated, love to go to school to learn more and more, and I'm a team player.

Ever think about teaching?

You say you're on medical - how long will body perform?
(Not prying - you don't even have to answer, just another item to consider).

I like to teach, but I'm not really a stand up in classroom kinda guy...I'd rather share with my co-workers and maybe help out a younger person with the trade.

Basically, I can't run anymore, and for a Marine, that's the kiss of death.

Also, I've inherited a bunch of funky genetic flaws from my mom. I don't really expect too many long term impairments.

I'm fine, I don't get hospitilized every 3 days....I just can't basically run.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
NC Electrician, do you hold any classification of the state license?

Roger

Not in NC...I did have a Maine Journeyman's license from 90'-93' after attending a technical college and having the required 4000 work-hours.

I worked for a electrical contractor out of the Cherry Point area for a few years moonlighting etc.

I have to order and intend to order some of Mike's materials, to get my head back in the game. I still remember a lot of it, and the mechanics of the trade don't seem to change too much, mainly materials and applications.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Well, I suggest that you try to atleast pass the limited and you may see your outlook on things change. What you are saying is the going wage for a Journeyman is not the case where I'm at in NC, (it is basically what a two to three year apprentice or decent mechanic would make) especially if you hold a city card or any state license.

I will say that if you were to show up claiming that you were "this or that" from somewhere else, you will not get Journeyman wages until you have proved yourself, sorry but that is just the reality of it.

Roger

I understand what you're saying...I'm just looking at the best possible long-term employment I can possibly get along with potential for additional education possibilities.

NC is strange in it's licensing requirements and criteria...it's very difficult to even have the opportunity to sit for the exam. Also, I may be over-estimating, but isn't the % of people who pass the NC Limited exam the first time only like 40%??

I'm also a US Marine, so it's not like I have been in the trade that much the last 14 years, with the only exposure for the most part was moonlighting with my buddy in Cherry Point and maybe a few field ops/deployments here and there. I just have a strong desire to re-enter the field.

The wages are definitely better in the larger metro areas of NC (Charlotte, Raleigh, Winston-Salem) from what I've seen.

Last edited:

Bob NH

You apparently qualify as having a disability of some kind. There are a lot of affirmative action programs that government contractors and government agencies are required to participate in that would give you an advantage over civilians who stayed home while you went to Iraq.

Many contractors who are not in the electrical contracting business don't require electrician licenses. Many military bases use contractors on the base and may not need licensed electricians. Also, there are a lot of electrician-like jobs that may not need a license.

My experience before retirement was in industry doing government contracts. We had a lot of people who were doing technical work in test equipment, laboratories, and related electrical fields at rates close to $25 to $30 per hour. That might be a better fit if you are not going to be able to climb ladder for the rest of your career.

I don't know what is going on with anything like the GI Bill education programs used to be, but that is also something you might be able to take advantage of. People used to get paid enough to live in married housing on campus and go to college with GI Bill payments. You only have a certain amount of time to take advantage of that.

I only have ideas from experience of several years ago. There must be people in the military or Veterans Affairs who are paid to find ways to get you the best possible deal. You may need to find your way to the bigger areas like Charlotte, or Raleigh, or Nashville, or similar areas to get people who are most able to help you.

Aim high. We owe you but you need to let people know that your are coming to collect.

Status
Not open for further replies.