4/0 ser cab

Status
Not open for further replies.

gator07

i have a slight disagreement with some co-workers about 4/o ser under the 2008 code. they are saying we can still use it as long as it does not run through the attic. If it runs say under a home through the crawl space its ok. I say its still limited to the 60c rating and not acceptable unless it carries the total load of the dwelling. I think im right but just wanted a few opinions, i know this topic has been beat up on this forum sorry!

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician
i have a slight disagreement with some co-workers about 4/o ser under the 2008 code. they are saying we can still use it as long as it does not run through the attic. If it runs say under a home through the crawl space its ok. I say its still limited to the 60c rating and not acceptable unless it carries the total load of the dwelling. I think im right but just wanted a few opinions, i know this topic has been beat up on this forum sorry!

It can be run through an attic with the only possible factor being derating for ambient temp. You are correct, the 60 C column must be used for ampacity. As far as total load of the dwelling goes, that would only be true if you are using 310.15(B)(6) for ampacity ratings otherwise 310.16 would be used.

raider1

Staff member
SER cable used for interior wiring it is limited to the 60 degree column of 310.16.

338.10(B)(4)(a) requires that the SER cable comply with all of Part II of Article 334 including 334.80.

If the feeder meets the definition of a main power feeder than Table 310.15(B)(6) would apply to that feeder.

Chris

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
SER cable used for interior wiring it is limited to the 60 degree column of 310.16.

338.10(B)(4)(a) requires that the SER cable comply with all of Part II of Article 334 including 334.80.

If the feeder meets the definition of a main power feeder than Table 310.15(B)(6) would apply to that feeder.

Chris

Not all jurisdictions are on board with the "main power feeder" statement. Some are of the opinion that the 60? rating applies to all interior SE cable, so you might want to verify with your AHJ as to how they interpret.

raider1

Staff member
Not all jurisdictions are on board with the "main power feeder" statement. Some are of the opinion that the 60? rating applies to all interior SE cable, so you might want to verify with your AHJ as to how they interpret.

I agree that some jurisdictions are viewing it that way.

I just don't agree that the 60 degree rating overrides 310.15(B)(6).:)

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.