Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Allergic Reaction

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    2

    Allergic Reaction

    Recently I have found to be allergic to the gray plastic coating on NM UF wire, Service entrance cable,ridgit NM conduit and the flex conduit. After contact with this my hands get swellen, rash and blisters. Have any other people out there had this problem? I,m awaiting a MSDS Fact sheet on the plastic coating from Southwire.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    5,156

    Re: Allergic Reaction

    Hmm. I wonder what's in it. I've always understood the plasic itself to be inert. Meaning, good luck trying to get a chemical reaction out of it. Or any interaction with anything. But I suppose the gray stuff is some other additive.

    Getting the chemical sheets on the products is of course a good idea.

    There must be a data base of some kind on the material and the type of reaction you're having. I don't know if this is their field but you might talk with the poison control people where ever you're at. If they don't have useful information for you I'd expect they'd know who does.
    Sam, San Francisco Bay Area

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    2

    Re: Allergic Reaction

    Thanks for the idea about poision control, I'll check them out right now.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Leesburg, VA
    Posts
    6,931

    Re: Allergic Reaction

    Quite a few years ago I had an employee that was allergic to plastic or oil on conduit. I forget which, he wore gloves.
    Brian John
    Leesburg, VA

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    9,324

    Re: Allergic Reaction

    A few years ago I had a reaction to the "grease" in a dry-type xfmer...I had an awful itchy rash between each finger that lasted for a few weeks. I had to bandage my hands and wear gloves just to stop scratching. It was confined to just the web on each finger ~ but NOT between the thumb/index fingers.

    Eventually it went away as mysteriously as it started...I continued wiring xfmers...and didn't return until a few weeks ago when I hadn't touched a xfmer in months...this time all over my hands and other parts, very itchy.

    I may have been wrong blaming the xfmer goop and it may have been eczema(sp?) brought on by stress. In both instances, some Aveeno cream soothed it (at least while I furiously rubbed the affected areas with the cream...ok, I scratched ).
    ĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦ
    ««« CELTIC »»»
    ĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦ
    An error on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.8-)


  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    1,257

    Re: Allergic Reaction

    I hope the same stuff isn't in wirenuts!
    Todd
    Live Long and Prosper.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    12,178

    Re: Allergic Reaction

    I've always thought you could eliminate a large number of electricians by posioning wirenuts. I've seen so many hold them between their teeth before insatlling if their hands were busy with the wiring.
    At my age, I'm accustomed to restaurants asking me to pay in advance, but now my bank has started sending me their calendar one month at a time.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Right here.
    Posts
    12,326

    Re: Allergic Reaction

    Originally posted by jajonesey:
    Recently I have found to be allergic to the gray plastic coating on NM UF wire, Service entrance cable,ridgit NM conduit and the flex conduit.
    I think that you'll find that the only common thing between all of these things is that they are grey in color.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •