Thread: Allergic Reaction

Allergic Reaction

Recently I have found to be allergic to the gray plastic coating on NM UF wire, Service entrance cable,ridgit NM conduit and the flex conduit. After contact with this my hands get swellen, rash and blisters. Have any other people out there had this problem? I,m awaiting a MSDS Fact sheet on the plastic coating from Southwire.

Re: Allergic Reaction

Hmm. I wonder what's in it. I've always understood the plasic itself to be inert. Meaning, good luck trying to get a chemical reaction out of it. Or any interaction with anything. But I suppose the gray stuff is some other additive.

Getting the chemical sheets on the products is of course a good idea.

There must be a data base of some kind on the material and the type of reaction you're having. I don't know if this is their field but you might talk with the poison control people where ever you're at. If they don't have useful information for you I'd expect they'd know who does.
    Sam, San Francisco Bay Area

Thanks for the idea about poision control, I'll check them out right now.

Quite a few years ago I had an employee that was allergic to plastic or oil on conduit. I forget which, he wore gloves.
    Brian John
    Leesburg, VA

A few years ago I had a reaction to the "grease" in a dry-type xfmer...I had an awful itchy rash between each finger that lasted for a few weeks. I had to bandage my hands and wear gloves just to stop scratching. It was confined to just the web on each finger ~ but NOT between the thumb/index fingers.

Eventually it went away as mysteriously as it started...I continued wiring xfmers...and didn't return until a few weeks ago when I hadn't touched a xfmer in months...this time all over my hands and other parts, very itchy.

I may have been wrong blaming the xfmer goop and it may have been eczema(sp?) brought on by stress. In both instances, some Aveeno cream soothed it (at least while I furiously rubbed the affected areas with the cream...ok, I scratched ).
    ĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦ
    ««« CELTIC »»»
    ĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦ
    An error on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.8-)

I hope the same stuff isn't in wirenuts!
    Todd
    Live Long and Prosper.

I've always thought you could eliminate a large number of electricians by posioning wirenuts. I've seen so many hold them between their teeth before insatlling if their hands were busy with the wiring.
    At my age, I'm accustomed to restaurants asking me to pay in advance, but now my bank has started sending me their calendar one month at a time.

Originally posted by jajonesey:
    Recently I have found to be allergic to the gray plastic coating on NM UF wire, Service entrance cable,ridgit NM conduit and the flex conduit.
    I think that you'll find that the only common thing between all of these things is that they are grey in color.