swimming pool wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwire

Staff member
If you are not an electrician we can not give advice on how to wire a pool.

Do yourself, your family and your friends a favor and hire an electrician familiar with pool wiring.

I am closing this thread, in accordance with the Forum Rules.

This site is designed for:

• Contractors
  • Electricians
  • Engineers
  • Inspectors
  • Instructors
  • Other electrically related individuals
* This NEC? Forum is for those in the electrical and related industries. Questions of a "How-To" nature by persons not involved in the electrical industry will be removed without notice.

iwire

Staff member
I am re-opening this thread, I received a PM from the poster and he states..

I own a million dollar Commercial mechanical contracting business I service PA MD NJ CT VA and I have 14 years of hvac and ammmonia refer. experience and I have been doing electrical and mechanical repairs for years so excuse me since I never ran uf wire in a 2' trench to A swimming pool before and in my township you do not have to be a licensed electrician anyway.

Based on that perhaps the members will have some advice for you.:wink:

Mecadvent
Your installation does not comply with the NEC.
you will need to take a look at:
680.21(A)(1)

There are also other code sections, but they are specific to the type of installation. You would need to provide more information as to how close the pump is to the pool and other info as well. Do not forget to take a look at 680.26 as well because this will help to prevent people from getting unnessicary shocks.
Maybe you should consult with an electrician who wires pools...

haskindm

You will need an insulated equipment ground for your pool which is NOT present in UF cable, so your cable will need to be replaced with a wiring method that provides an insulated ground wire. Pools are extremely dangerous and no shortcuts should be taken in the wiring and especially in the bonding of the pool. This is the time to call in an expert in pool wiring. Article 680 is very confusing and needs to be understood completely before attempting to wire a pool. This is one case where lives are literally depending on the job being done correctly.

splinetto

The first thread said 18" and in Iwire's thread with a quote from the guy said 2 feet. I don't know how to use quotes from other people

Status
Not open for further replies.