348-13.gif

Roger

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
georgestolz said:
That's no fair! I went looking for that before I posted! :D

George, you should have known! Roger posts that thing about once every couple of months. :wink:

paul

Re: EMT COUPLERS

Jim W in Tampa said:
Is there any limit to how many couplers we are allowed in a run of emt or how far apart ?

It is my belief that couplings should be approximately 12+' apart on all raceway systems. :shock:

mario

paul said:
Jim W in Tampa said:
Is there any limit to how many couplers we are allowed in a run of emt or how far apart ?

It is my belief that couplings should be approximately 12+' apart on all raceway systems. :shock:

that will be quite a trick with 10 ft sticks of conduit ... :lol:

Jim W in Tampa

I had to do something i never done before.In order to make a tricky run i had to put 5 in a 10 foot run.All very secure just hope i dont regret when i go to pull the wire.

Jim W in Tampa

Electrical i hope.It was in a remodel and needed to use notches that were already made.4 90's 5 couplers 1/2 inch emt.Will have7 wires.All legal but sure it will be fun pulling.

iwire

Staff member
Jim as long as you cleaned up the ends of the EMT the couplings should not make pulling hard.

Its not a big deal, it happens all the time when you need to go through studs.

I agree it looks strange.

Sleep better, pull an EGC in it.

ramdiesel3500

When we have conduit runs that go vertical in the voids of a block wall, we cut 2' sections of EMT and assemble them as the block layers build the wall. I have heard stories where the electricians will cut the pipes to 2' lengths and the block layers will assemble them as they lay the blocks just to save the electricians the trouble of climbing around and also to avoid overcrowding on the scaffolds!

petersonra

Occupation
engineer

Jim W in Tampa said:

There is no code limit, however, couplings introduce additional impedance into the conduit system, and this could be a factor if you are using your EMT as an EGC.

A long time ago I saw an article on this. It seemed to me that every fitting was equivilant to something like 5 feet of conduit.

I am sure someone here can post a link.

Jim W in Tampa

benaround said:
As far as I know,even when an EGC is pulled in with circuit conductors, a

fault will utilize the EMT more so than the EGC.

I believe it will act like 2 conductors and share the load.Both have resistance and act the same as two resistors in parallel.How good the coupling are will make a big differance on this answer.Anyone know the resistance of 1/2 inch emt per foot ?

Status
Not open for further replies.