code compliant to make a cover?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wireguru

I have a feeling the answer to this would be no, but here is the scenario.

An existing installation of a 60a pin and sleeve connector mounted to a backbox needs to be changed to a 50a CS twistlock (supplied with 50a breaker of course). It is not feasible to remove the backbox and replace with a FS box for the 50a twistlock. The proposal was to laser cut a piece of 12ga steel to fit onto the pin and sleeve backbox, with holes for the 50a CS twistlock which would then be installed into the piece of steel with the proper cover for 50a CS twistlock on the outside of it.

It would be perfect functionally and asthetically with zero hazard (plenty of room in the backbox, grounding would be proper, etc)

cycotcskir

What does "not feasable" mean? Pretty much anything is "feasible". :)

Do you mean that they don't want to pay to do it the way you described?

cycotcskir

It will all depend on how strict the AHJ is.

Why can't the conduit be cut back (to where it's not in the wall) and re-installed as a surface-mount? Is it in the deck also?

Asking the AHJ will be your best bet, I think. If you make the cover first, and show him a professional looking cover with nice smooth edges, he may be more likely to approve.

Personally, I would go for it as long as it is of equal quality of the required cover for the installation and smooth.

Good Luck

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I have a feeling the answer to this would be no, but here is the scenario.

An existing installation of a 60a pin and sleeve connector mounted to a backbox needs to be changed to a 50a CS twistlock (supplied with 50a breaker of course). It is not feasible to remove the backbox and replace with a FS box for the 50a twistlock. The proposal was to laser cut a piece of 12ga steel to fit onto the pin and sleeve backbox, with holes for the 50a CS twistlock which would then be installed into the piece of steel with the proper cover for 50a CS twistlock on the outside of it.

It would be perfect functionally and asthetically with zero hazard (plenty of room in the backbox, grounding would be proper, etc)

How is this any different than making some kind of structure to set the thing on? I think some people worry way too much about whether things are UL listed and what not sometimes.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
It sounds just like a flat plaster ring to me. I say go for it.

We have troughs and other enclosures made all the time.

Can you easily demonstrate your idea for the inspector?

wireguru

It sounds just like a flat plaster ring to me. I say go for it.

We have troughs and other enclosures made all the time.

Can you easily demonstrate your idea for the inspector?

I could show him the cad drawing, but i would probably just go ahead and make them -I am pretty confident he would be fine with it. My concern was he would say something like "I'm fine with it, but I cant approve it because NEC xxxxx"

cowboyjwc

Staff member
How is this any different than making some kind of structure to set the thing on? I think some people worry way too much about whether things are UL listed and what not sometimes.

It's not so much that it's not UL listed, it's just that usually when guys want to make their own covers, since they don't have the right equipment, they usually just make something out of sheet metal and think that's fine.

The inspector could use 314.41.

Status
Not open for further replies.