Arc Fault Breakers on all bedrooms.

Status
Not open for further replies.

lonniewright

I was told this week by a wholesale electrical supplier that the code book has dropped the requirement for arc fault breakers in the bedrooms. Is this true? If so, when did it go into effect?

peter d

No, it has not been removed from the NEC. However, some states like Indiana have ammended the NEC to remove the AFCI requirement.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
It is not true if you are talking about the NEC.

Roger

lonniewright

peter d said:
No, it has not been removed from the NEC. However, some states like Indiana have ammended the NEC to remove the AFCI requirement.

The supplier I was talking to was from Indiana, so that answers my question. Thanks. Lonnie

lonniewright

lonniewright said:
peter d said:

The supplier I was talking to was from Indiana, so that answers my question. Thanks. Lonnie

Peter, Why would some states remove the AFCI requirement? Is Indiana the only state you know of?

peter d

Yes, Indiana is the only state that I know of that ammended it statewide. But I think there are a few others.

As far as the "why," it's because of the controversy surrounding the introduction of the AFCI and its effectiveness.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
peter d said:
Yes, Indiana is the only state that I know of that ammended it statewide. But I think there are a few others.

As far as the "why," it's because of the controversy surrounding the introduction of the AFCI and its effectiveness.

Indiana isn't the only state. New Jersey has yet to require them. Last I heard is that they will not be required when we adopt the 2005 NEC later this year either.

AFCI

AFCI

in state of Wisconsin we have a addment or a code change and in code cycle 05 we don't have AFCI in bedroom circuits at all as i speaking now it was affect the last 2 or 3 code cycle so far as i know.

for 08 i dont know what it will be changed in state of Wisconsin yet but too early to see where it goes with this one

Merci , Marc

tshea

Wisconsin is another state that has ammended the NEC to not require AFCI in bedrooms for this code cycle. Rumor has it, that requirement will be enforced in 2008 cycle.

hey Tesha:

I guess you are reading my mind for a min to post it here.

anyway i have strong feeling we might get the AFCI in next code cycle but really for my honest option i rather wait until someone come up with good design with AFCI breaker and devices if they do make it.

Merci , Marc

Jim W in Tampa

Don't think for one second that mfg will let the requirements leave nec.They work fine in placing greeni n there pockets.Personally i dont think they are worth the cost.Simple GFCI receptacles could do almost the same job.

dunriteman

SC inspectors are making me put my smoke detectors on a arc-fault circuit because they are inside the bedrooms. lets say the arc-fault trips on the smoke circuit! what brings this to the home owners attention?

why don't we just put battery powered Smokes with an interlink (just wise cracking)..

is this not anal retentive attention to detail for arc-faults in the bedroom??

sparky_magoo

Ideal makes a sure test AFCI tester that simulates an arcing fault. It works great. It also displays true RMS voltage. It will put a 15 or 20 amp load on the ckt. under test and display the voltage drop. It is a wonderful instrument. Sa a serviceman, I use mine almost daily.

Status
Not open for further replies.