Dimmer on switched receptacle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparky_magoo

Yesterday, I found a HO had installed dimmers on two of his switched receptacles. I told him this was a violation and the dimmers must be removed. I couldn't find a code reference for this. I expected to find a restriction in art. 210. Is not dimming a switched receptacle a code issue or just a common sense issue?

templdl

I think one would have to go back to the instructions and what they say. Thje you could hang your hat on a NEC 110.3(B) violation.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
This recently came up in another thread.

It never really came to a unanimous decision. I believe it comes down to common sense, as Magoo suggested.

FWIW, I always tell homeowners that dimming receptacles is illegal. :wink:

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Bob is correct. That's why I said controlling a standard receptacle was prohibited. Lutron makes some type of dimmer and receptacle combination.

iwire

Staff member
infinity said:
Bob is correct. That's why I said controlling a standard receptacle was prohibited. Lutron makes some type of dimmer and receptacle combination.

I caught the 'standard receptacle' part of your post.

But if you read the section carefully you will note it requires the dimmer to be listed for the purpose not the receptacle.

Now is there a dimmer listed to control a standard receptacle?

I doubt it but the NEC left the door open for that possibility. 8)

pierre

Lutron spent quite a bit of money developing and getting a listing on their dimmer/receptacle set up.

The package is listed, and the receptacle comes with a cord connector that will have to be installed on the cord for the lamp or whatever cord connected equipment that is being dimmed.
Both the receptacle and cord connector are unique in design and can only be installed together - that is if it is to be legal.

www.lutron.com/instructions/030825c.pdf

Look at page two to see the installation instructions. There is a unique type of protrusion that locks from the receptacle into the attachment plug.

iwire

Staff member
I am aware of that product, that does not change the fact that requiring the receptacle to be listed for the application is beyond the scope of Article 404.

If a manufacturer gets a dimmer listed for the control of a standard receptacle the NEC currently does not prohibit the use of it.

It all has to do with the dimmers listing and labeling not the receptacles listing.

tonyi

Most commonly available dimmers aren't rated for the full 15A load that could be plugged into a 15A recepticle. Its a switch, so it has to be rated for possible loads right?

sparky_magoo

These were ordinary 600 watt dimmers. I explained one the the hazzards would be if some one plugged a TV or a heavy load into the dimmed receptacle. The Lutron idea is a good one. I will prose it to him when I go back to complete other work. Thanks to all.

andrew

As an inspector I take the common sense approach. If the receptacle is used for cove light I let it go because who is going to plug a t.v. in that particular receptacle.

Have a Great sunday,
andrew

larryl

better yet,,have him plug in his new 60" plasma tv into it,and he'll really understand why,, :lol:sorry,, i did'nt mean to laugh,i'm just sitting here,being mean,,i really mean= :cry:

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
iwire said:
If a manufacturer gets a dimmer listed for the control of a standard receptacle the NEC currently does not prohibit the use of it.
What about this?

A dimmer is installed to dim a high-bay light. Who knows, it could happen.
Is it legal?

(E) Dimmer Switches. General-use dimmer switches shall be used only to control permanently installed incandescent luminaires (lighting fixtures) unless listed for the control of other loads and installed accordingly.

The high-bay is permanently installed. But it also happens to be cord and plug connected.

What say ye wise ladies and gentlemen?

Status
Not open for further replies.