Help with Proposal

Status
Not open for further replies.

electricmanscott

There is no way you will get this job done in 17 hours. None at all. Give your self 16 to rough, including getting your circuits to the panel location, 3-6 for the addtional smokes in the house, and 5-8 for the finish.

The service should be at least 2K.

My hourly rate is $92.00 in Massachusetts for a one man show. I am on the higher side, just where I like to be. However like anything else you get what you pay for and based on some of the things I see there are plenty of guys out there that are not worth half that.
My health insurance also just went up $140.00 per month. :roll:

frank_n

Scott,

I changed my estimate from 17 hours to 27 like you suggest. I also raised my hourly rate to $75 and changed my markup t0 20% (26%-6% sales tax) like John suggests. Now my estimate for the addition is $2600. When you add the $2000 for the service upgrade, I'm at $4600 for the whole thing. That is right where Celtic was before he added the 10% for misc.

I really have to figure out exactly how much my expenses are. Later this afternoon, I will send the proposal. I'm going to trust everyone here and see how it goes. Worse thing that happens is that I continue doing ceiling fans until the next one comes along.

Thanks for everyone's help. I'll let you know what happens.

Frank

JohnE

frank_n said:
Last spring, this same GC had a new home built. The EC he used charged $5700 to wire the whole house. That included a 200-amp service and the fixtures (I'm not supplying fixtures).

Frank

There's a reason he's not using that same electrician for this one. Either the electrician wisened up or the GC did.

celtic

j_erickson said:
frank_n said:
Last spring, this same GC had a new home built. The EC he used charged $5700 to wire the whole house. That included a 200-amp service and the fixtures (I'm not supplying fixtures).

Frank

There's a reason he's not using that same electrician for this one. Either the electrician wisened up or the GC did.

EXCELLANT point !!!

satcom

Frank,

I also felt Celtic's figures, were pretty much on target, at least you will not be down in the dirt with price.

electricmanscott

Frank, I want to commend you on trying to make a go of this. It is a tough business to begin with and when you add in to the mix trying to be a "Business man" it certainly adds to the headaches.

Alot of guys just wing it and never get anywhere. Most of us started out that way. The difference between those guys and us is making the effort to educate ourselves.

You have come to the right place.
Good luck. :)

sparky_magoo

I agree with Satcom. I do many 200A upgrades and they average $2500. Celltic's numbers are a little low for my shop in CA, but our base labor rate is $91. For a permit, I charge the actual cost of the permit, plus a "fee" of $91 (1 hour for me to get it). When figuring the service upgrade, is it overhead or underground? Overhead means a larger mast and new SE conductors. How many breakers do you have to buy? Any AFCI or GFCI's? Is the existing panel grounded & bonded? Are you cutting the old panel out of a stucco wall? If so, do you have a skill saw with a diamond blade? Will the old wires reach the new terminals or will they have to be extended? Is the old panel labeled or do you have to figure that out? Remember, the panel has to be labeled before POCO comes out to DX PWR for the upgrade.

In my area, POCO generally does overhead upgrades at little or no cost. They usually charge big bucks for service lateral upgrades. Does your customer know the potential POCO charges? Is telco & TV properly grounded? Does the HO know stucco repairs are by others?

frank_n

I got the job. Thanks to everyone. I faxed a proposal last night for $4300. I know it was a few hundred lower than what some of you suggested, but it is much higher than the $2800, I was going to bid. In the end, I decided not to add the 10% misc because I need to get some experience on a job this size. The extra $1500 will come in handy. I wish I could take you all out to dinner.

I already know about 2 extras. An attic fan and heating/AC in the attic.

The next thing to learn is about permits and dealing with inspectors. I have been looking at some bidding software.

I am first going to try Home Depot as Celtic suggested.

Frank

Oakey

celtic said:
To start the job (of this size), I would ask for this:
30% at signing/before work begins
30% before calling for rough inspection
25% before calling for final inspection
5% due day of final inspection

All extras, changes, moves must be paid for 100% BEFORE final inspection is called for.

The less you ask for, the more you pay "banker" and give the customer interest free loans. I am not a banker, I am an EC. If they don't have the money let them get a loan...do not become a banker.[/url]
Did you put this in your proposal and have him sign it?

celtic

frank_n said:
I got the job. Thanks to everyone.
Congrats and your welcome !

frank_n said:
I faxed a proposal last night for $4300. I know it was a few hundred lower than what some of you suggested, but it is much higher than the $2800, I was going to bid. In the end, I decided not to add the 10% misc because I need to get some experience on a job this size. The extra $1500 will come in handy.
That $1500 plus the 10% would pay for some new tools :) You always need a new tool.

frank_n said:
I already know about 2 extras. An attic fan and heating/AC in the attic.

...and don't forget to sell the "upgrades" - cable/sat; tele; ethernet; etc. I'm sure we will chime in with numbers on that. If that's not your cup of tea, get in touch with me - PM me here - and I'll send you a guy.

frank_n said:
The next thing to learn is about permits and dealing with inspectors. I have been looking at some bidding software.
Permits are easy - here is a link to sample:

http://www.state.nj.us/njbiz/f_list.shtml#community

You should see "Community Affairs Forms".
Then these items:
Construction Permit Application Jacket -pg 1. [pdf]
Construction Permit Application Jacket -pg 2. [pdf]
Construction Permit Application Jacket -pg 3. [pdf]
UCC Electrical Subcode Technical Section

Have a look, get familiar, etc.

Inspectors can be your one of your greatest allies - or nemesis ~ it all depends on how YOU act. Some inspectors are a bit pushy at 1st meeting, they want to see just how much you know...others are a bit more "casual". Either way, treat the inspector with respect, BE THERE for inspections, if you have a question ASK HIM before you just go ahead and do something you are not that sure of (Romex or AC to under cabinet lights?...both *may* be correct, but the AHJ might have a "preference". - This is just an example, let's not get all excited about it)

The other trades can be a great asset, also....but you don't want to seem like you actually need/want their help. It's all a game - you play nice, they play nice. A box of Joe and some donuts for the framing crew - while you do a "walk through", can go along way. The framers might also be the finishers.....know what I mean?

frank_n said:
I am first going to try Home Depot as Celtic suggested.
Depot may not even have the "Pro Cd" for FREE any more or at all.
You can PM with your address and I'll burn you a CD.....or maybe someone can upload a 404,997 kb zip file to an FTP server for everyone that wants it ....or you can try Barnes and Nobles or Amazon and get TNE for $50 - $80.

frank_n said:
I wish I could take you all out to dinner.
I'm only a few miles north of you :D

Good luck and keep us informed (about the dinner plans, that is :lol: )

Status
Not open for further replies.