Minimum amount of work requiring EC license? Handymen getting rich off of TR receps?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VoltageHz

I've spoken to multiple Handymen type people, one of which has a "Baby Proofer" business, who said they have been making money hand over fist replacing ordinary receptacles with Tamper Proof models. They use the NEC as a promotional tool (or scare tactic), yet they aren't licensed electrician. A whole house of receptacles could lead to a nice profit for a handyman, even as he undercuts most EC's.

In your jurisdiction, what is the most (if any) electrical work a non-licensed person can do? Replace receptacles or light switches? Change light fixture? etc.

raider1

Staff member
In Utah, to do any electrical work for hire you must be at least a journeyman electrician.

As a journeyman electrician in Utah you are permitted to do up to $1000.00 of total work on a project(This amount could have been change in the last legislative session) without an electrical contractors license.

Chris

growler

In your jurisdiction, what is the most (if any) electrical work a non-licensed person can do? Replace receptacles or light switches? Change light fixture? etc.

In Georgia a handyman could change out switches, receptacles and light fixtures because this would be considered routine maintenance.

Now they would be required to have a business license and pay taxes just like everyone else and they would be responsible for the work performed. They would need to be open with the fact that they are not licensed electricians. This is where I think many could get into trouble, legal or not many homeowners don't like the idea of unqualified ( unlicensed ) persons doing any electrical work at their homes. If they don't correctly represent themselves they could run afoul of the law. I have seen advertisements that state that an electrician is certified but as far as I know the only authority that has the right to certify an electrician is the state board and that certification is in the form of a license.

It would be interesting to see one of their contracts to see exactly what they are offering the homeowner and what claims they make.

If a handyman service is operating a legitimate business their cost is not going to be that much cheaper than an EC's cost. They would still have overhead, business license, taxes and insurance to worry about. Their labor cost would be a little cheaper but a quailified electrican makes up the difference by speed and consistency of work performed.

bphgravity

Most states have an Administrative Code that dicates what type of work is exempt from permtting. Here in Florida, minor gas, plumbing, and mechanical repairs as outlined in Section 105.2 of the FBC do not require permits or inspection. There are NO exemptions for ELECTRICAL WORK of ANY KIND.

RH1

In California anyone can do this job. The average handyman won't recognize a split wired receptacle and won't understand why the table lamp never goes off. This is where the electrician gets involved.

Buck Parrish

In NC it is illegall to do work or offer to do ANY electrical work.
Here is a copy of a warning letter from the state board. This was for some one advertising on CL with out a license.

http://docs.google.com/gview?a=v&pid=gmail&attid=0.1&thid=124913284f660976&mt=application%2Fpdf&url=http%3A%2F%2Fmail.google.com%2Fmail%2F%3Fui%3D2%26ik%3D914de65572%26view%3Datt%26th%3D124913284f660976%26attid%3D0.1%26disp%3Dattd%26zw&sig=AHBy-hYTSfUE2bJiefA1dcLUaIVJDPTWbw

To protect the children, turn unlicensed electricians charging for work in to your state . Turn them in to your state board !!

Last edited:

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
In California anyone can do this job. The average handyman won't recognize a split wired receptacle and won't understand why the table lamp never goes off. This is where the electrician gets involved.

Well sort of. Yes a handyman can do any project 500.00 and under including the materials. However, a handyman cannot advertise as an electrician. nor can he place a add in the paper under electrical.

Power Tech

Well sort of. Yes a handyman can do any project 500.00 and under including the materials. However, a handyman cannot advertise as an electrician. nor can he place a add in the paper under electrical.

Where I live there is a paper loaded with handymen advertising plumbing, painting, and electrical.

At the bottom of the add they put, "Not a licensed contractor".

Is this legal?

wshoard

RH1

I believe he can advertise as an electrician as long as he does jobs under $500. I've studied this in depth and never seen such a clause.

satcom

a "Baby Proofer" business, who said they have been making money hand over fist replacing ordinary receptacles with Tamper Proof models.

They better save all that hand over fist money, for E&O liability insurance and to pay the attorney bills and court fees. when baby proof does not work or has a problem, risky business.

AzVoltage

In Arizona, as long as the total cost of the job does not exceed $1000.00, any one can do electric work that does not require a permit. (new circuits, panels, etc.). They have to disclose "Not a licensed Contractor", but rarely is this done. I see so many unlicensed contractors offering all ranges of electric work here from the small job to new home wiring. They get around the law by having the homeowner pull the permit and claim they are hired by the homeowner, which is legal.

I wish AZ had some laws as other states that exclude unlicensed persons doing electric work.

satcom

In Arizona, as long as the total cost of the job does not exceed $1000.00, any one can do electric work that does not require a permit. (new circuits, panels, etc.). They have to disclose "Not a licensed Contractor", but rarely is this done. I see so many unlicensed contractors offering all ranges of electric work here from the small job to new home wiring. They get around the law by having the homeowner pull the permit and claim they are hired by the homeowner, which is legal.

I wish AZ had some laws as other states that exclude unlicensed persons doing electric work.

That is some consumer protection law, the law protects people on jobs over $1000 so nothing can happen on a job under $1000

Sorry you lost your family, but we use a dollar limit, and don't care if they are qualified.
What are they thinking?

Dnkldorf

a "Baby Proofer" business, who said they have been making money hand over fist replacing ordinary receptacles with Tamper Proof models.

They better save all that hand over fist money, for E&O liability insurance and to pay the attorney bills and court fees. when baby proof does not work or has a problem, risky business.

Yup, and then after hiding their assets, they file for bankruptcy.

They walk away, start another business under a different name, and the cycle starts again.

They know the system, and use it to their advantage.

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
Thank you for that idea. I will be taking out some ads in that same fashion. The difference being that I'm licensed and insured to do the work.

:grin:

wireguru

in CA, have to disclose you are unlicensed. And the $500 is the total value of the job, and you cant cheat by replacing 1/2 the receptacles for $250 then replace the other 1/2 for another $250. And you cant have the HO go buy the materials and charge $500 labor.

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
I'm happy to help a licensed EC :)

The question is the non-electrical parts. Those things that keep the cabinet doors locked, and such. What else helps baby-proof the house?

On a sidenote: Anybody else laugh at that Simpsons episode where the baby-proofer came for an estimate and Homer drew bunnies on the receptacles?

Marge: But Maggie isn't afraid of bunnies
Homer: She will be.

VoltageHz

The question is the non-electrical parts. Those things that keep the cabinet doors locked, and such. What else helps baby-proof the house?
I've never had it done, but I assume there is a lot of getting rid of things that could fall over, sharp items, etc. Securing large book shelves and other tall furniture to the wall, locking pictures to the wall with the lower clips like restaurants do, covering or blocking hot items such as radiators, doors or gates in front of stairwells, etc. etc. etc.

I could imagine a good salesman Baby Proofer scaring a couple into a lot of changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.