electronic dimmer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

laketime

I am going to install some track in a restaurant tomorrow and I just picked up the heads from the designer. The track head have a low voltage transformer and the lamp is a 12v/50w MR-16. I know the circuit controlling the track in wired to a older rotary style dimmer. Do I need to change the dimmer to a low voltage electronic dimmer?

Kdog76

Better get the info right from the manufacturer as to what type (if any at all) of dimmer can be used for that particular product. You can always stick in a single pole switch for the time being...I believe those are halogen low-volt bulbs, and I know the 110 volt ones can be dimmed, but not sure about the low-volt ones.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Better get the info right from the manufacturer as to what type (if any at all) of dimmer can be used for that particular product. You can always stick in a single pole switch for the time being...I believe those are halogen low-volt bulbs, and I know the 110 volt ones can be dimmed, but not sure about the low-volt ones.
Of course the MR-16 lamps can be dimmed. The issue is the Trans is it Magnetic or solid state. You must use the correct one for the job. :confused:

laketime

Now to complicate things I found out that the track is sharing a circuit with some other recessed lights that have 120v MR-16's in them. Does that make a difference?

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
if it,s solid state you probaly need a low volt dimmer which are pricey, you could call tech support
Even if its a magnetic transromer you need a low volt transformer.
I have seen very few regular dimmers that are rated for Magnetic transformers. Will they work " yes" will they eventually break or damage the transformer " Yes"

That is why all the dimmer manufacters make:
Incandescant dimmer
Flourescent dimmer
Magentic Lo Volt
Electronic Low Volt.

Do you really think they are wasting all our money?:mad:

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Can the electronic dimmer control the 120v MR-16's as well without an issue?
I am sure you can but why spend the money and have reduced available wattage from the dimmer. low voltage dimmers are much more money!
Are these 120 MR-16 Lamps?

laketime

well is is a mix (3) recessed cans with 120v MR-16s and (2) tracks with (6) total track heads with 12v MR-16s

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
That dimmer is going to be pricy. I calculate 450 watts.
If that is Electronic you need to get a dimmer that is greater than 450 watts. ( a little headroom is always good). Most Electronic are olny 300 for the standard units. And the Magnetic some are rated at 450 watts.
From what I was told from Lutron years ago the LOW vo will work on Incandescent.

GUNNING

up sell and break up the lights into several groups.

up sell and break up the lights into several groups.

Thats a lot of different types of fixture and voltages and lamps. I would break them up into seperate groupings with seperate dimmers. It would be awkward to have a group of lights brighter than others or maybe burn up a transformer or dimmer because of the type or amount of load. Break em up.

laketime

Breaking them up isn't an option. It is all fed in a hard lid ceiling under a flat roof. No access, fed with mc cable. Sounds like I should leave them on a single pole switch and tell the owner to change lamps if he thinks it is too bright.

Status
Not open for further replies.