Industrial Electrical Inspection Textbooks

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am looking for textbooks,software or videos giving techniques for electrical inspection. I am working in a oil refinery where they have decided after many years of letting the contractors quality control their own work that it might not be a bad idea to have a company representative inspect and oversee the electrical work. I am a bit apprehensive because I believe that inspection is skill on its own, I am a master licensed electrician with almost thirty years of rounded electrical experience, but I have never been an inspector. I think it is important for the work being done to be top grade work. If I do not do a good job we could end up like before having contractors give only part of what we paid for.

[ February 21, 2006, 06:09 AM: Message edited by: kittysman ]

sandsnow

Re: Industrial Electrical Inspection Textbooks

There are lots of publications on inspection, but only for normal locations and then mostly focus on residential.

You are at a refinery, so I am assuming a lot of Class I locations. You might try this book by IAEI: Hazardous Locations. I have not read it.
IAEI Hazardous Book

Join the IAEI and network at your local meeting. You can pick up a lot of resources there. Check for seminars in your area from IAEI and NFPA. NFPA used to have a seminar on Hazardous Locations, but they may have discontinued it.

peteo

Re: Industrial Electrical Inspection Textbooks

If I'm not mistaken, what this quality program would be, is more of an on-site acceptance standards program than the full self certification. As far as I know, we have one refinery here which self certifies, the others using IAEI member third party inspectors. Visited one local refinery with a third party inspector, and there saw equipment which had been assembled and sent from Houston. The 'gods' of electricity had wired it. The NDT field is centered around Houston, where 'the very best' share knowledge with classes, etc. I do not know whether those companies who build electrical equipment for refineries offer training, but would try to find out; you probably know who they are. Others may have ISO compliant metrics, but I'd suggest it's worthwhile to learn from the very best.

acvolts

I would recommend VOLTS by dolphins software - they offer a free 10-day trail. The program will assist your review of the work performed by others. The software is a full featured program that will let you perform a majority of the calculations identified in the NEC.

Status
Not open for further replies.